Chapter Four: Cooperating

Next thing, I knew, was a horrible pain; a huge headache and chains in my hands and feet. It wasn't just the headache but a brief pain at my ribs and muscles of my feet caused by the bad stance I was sitting at the last hours. When I opened my eyes, I wasn't able to recognize where I was but I could only guess that this was because of the faint first glare after a night and the hit at my head. Finally, the view cleared out and all I could see was a chair in front of me and a small squared window on the wall behind it. It was just an empty room and the main source of light was the sun's shines that fell from the window. I could only assume that the next day had started.

There was a door in my room which remained locked. I tried to powerfully drift my hands back so I could try to set myself free, but I couldn't. The chains were strong enough and somehow wrapped at the wall behind me. My hands being chained with my feet, made it even more difficult to move and I tried to figure out a way to get out of there. I remembered that chi-blockers had ambushed me last night and I guessed that this was one of Amon's many prison cells.

I stopped trying to cut the chains. It was impossible, I knew it. One of the many consequences of not being a bender was sitting on the floor having nothing to do that would help myself get free. Maybe my body was locked in a prison cell but my spirit could still be free. I considered the idea of trying to meditate and communicate to someone that would come and help me.

Before I was able to continue thinking and planning my escape the door opened. I was suddenly able to hear voices. But it was nothing more than the thoughts of the man who entered. It wasn't just any man, it was Amon; wearing his usual outfit with a mask covering his face and hood on it. Not being able to see his face didn't block me from reading his mind. Even though, my hands were tied behind my back and I wasn't able to connect with his mind, being with only one person in a locked room was still easy enough to get a read of him. I pilled my gaze in his eyes and I tried to access the main memories of his brain.

"So, you're Karel, of the Northern Water Tribe" He said and he stood in front of me staring at me. He rested his hands behind his back and he looked down at me.

I continued reading his memories until I reached his past. I wasn't able to believe it but the boy in my village who was able to energy-bend was the man in front of me. I chuckled. It's been more than nineteen years ago and he still remembered coming in my parents' igloo about the age of twenty three asking for a journey to the Earth Kingdom.

"Is there anything funny?" he asked hearing me chuckling.

"I just realized how small the world is" I said smiling and looking at him. "I have to say, Noatak, your new name sounds very threatening" He was confused. I could see it through his mind and thoughts. All that he was and what he claimed to be. All these lies, all that pain. Being a lot of pressured by his father, who surprisingly was Yakone, he kept all this anger and pain inside of him and slowly it had deformed him into a monster. Maybe trying and changing his thoughts, his opinions in all these matters, I could somehow help him.

He turned around and he walked towards the window. When reached at it after three steps, he stared outside where it could be seen the entire city. His hands still wrapped behind his back and anger started conquering him. "You know much, but this ability won't save you, Mind Reader" he said. His voice remained low but it wasn't as calm as before. He remained at the window but he turned and looked at me.

"I can force you do whatever I want. The only reason I'm still here it's because I want to" I said.

"Why you, a woman with the chance to leave, would stay here?" He asked and he walked towards me and knelt before me so he could stare at me at the same height.