Chapter Six: Fears

I opened my eyes to the sound of a scream. I jumped from my bed and I immediately walked out of the room putting on my gabardine. I was certain that the scream came from the room beside mine where Korra rested. I immediately walked towards her room in order to check if she was okay and when I opened her room's door, without asking permission, I saw her sitting on her bed with her Polar Bear-Dog placing its nose at her knees trying to consol her. Korra continued stammering to herself "It's okay it was just a bad dream" but reading her thoughts I was able to understand that what she tried t convince herself was just a lie. She raised her gaze at me. I was able to recognize the frightening grin in her eyes and her sweat falling from her forehead to her cheeks.

"Are you okay?" I asked her and I sat on the bed beside her. She was frightened of something, and I could only assume that she had a nightmare that had to do with the Equalists.

She rested her head on my shoulder and I passed my right hand behind her back as if I were a mother trying to console her child after a scary nightmare. Without noticing I touched the right side of her forehead, with the two fingers of my right hand, in order to see what she had just dreamed. Her nightmare indeed had to do with the Equalists. She had seen chi-blockers barging in her room that night beating her and letting Amon take her bending. I was able to feel her fears and her anguish.

She wasn't able to say anything and her increased breathing slowly started slowing down and getting calmer. "Everything's going to be okay;" I said trying to help her calm. "Everything's going to be alright"

"I'm sorry I woke you like that in the middle of the night;" Korra said and she kept her head on my shoulder.

"Don't apologize," I said. It was such an irony. What if she knew that I was actually working with the Equalists? I was Amon's most trusted ally and right that moment I tried to help her calm down from a nightmare sourced from Korra's greatest fears for the Equalists. But it was strangely consoling the fact that I wasn't the only one to have betrayed them all. At least Asami played the same role I played in the entire situation. "You need to stop being afraid of Amon-" I tried to talk but she cut me.

"How? What if he takes my bending? What if I'm not powerful enough to stop him?" She burst and she turned and looked at me taking her head away from my shoulder and forcing me into taking my hand off her head.

"Korra, you were not prepared for this, you're right to be scared. But Amon cannot take your bending. Even if he does, you'll get your bending back. Amon cannot take from you something you were born with and makes you who you are... you, are the Avatar you alone can fully take or restore someone's bending" I said to her and she looked at me confusedly.

"How can you be so sure about it? You are not a bender, you know nothing of how I feel" She said and she turned her gaze away from me.

"I know exactly how you feel. I read your mind and I feel your pressure. You're right; I'm not a bender, even if I wanted to be. But trust me, I know how it feels to be afraid, because we non-benders learned to live in fear fending ourselves without bending" I said realizing the last moment that I started being like Amon. I continued listening to her thoughts the entire moment. She was about to suspect something. All I had said was the entire reason this rift between benders and non-benders started getting built. It was the main reason people followed Amon's cause. I many other things in mind to say but I shut my mouth gritting my teeth. Of course I tried to not my regret of telling these things. If Korra knew something more she would find her suspicions right and I'll be exposed. I didn't want this. I tried to say something else as to get us both out of the subject. "You need to rest. You'll need your strength for tomorrow" I said.

She knew I was right and she nodded. She lied back on her bed and I woke up and walked towards the door. "Goodnight;" She said from behind.

I turned around and I said "Goodnight" and I exited her room closing the door behind me.