Chapter Eight: The Finals

Today was the day. The day in which everything would go according to plan. The day in which nothing could stop Amon from doing what he wanted. It was never like he could be stopped before. He had the announcement, the document which I had written with my own hands. I had read countless minds. I knew what people wanted, I knew what they feared the most, I knew what it would move them the most.

There had passed two days from our 'date'. Amon, considering the fact that I knew all this, that I knew how people thought and acted, passed onto me the task on writing his speech. The announcement he wanted so badly to make with all the City's eyes falling on him. I gave them the document at the midnight of the last day. It wasn't big, just a paragraph. A paragraph that explained everything... everything he wanted to say.

I needed to practice my telepathic skills. There were so many people Amon wanted to get in the Arena undetected. I needed to be ready. And so the day came. The sun rose. The radios had already announced Amon's threatening plans for the finals from the last night.

The Five Councilmen would gather early in the morning to come on terms of their moves. Tenzin left earlier than usual. They were all worried.

"Did you hear what Amon's going to do?" Korra asked exasperated.

I didn't realize I was sitting on my seat in the dining room taking my breakfast with the rest of the Air Bending family minus Tenzin. I turned and looked at her snapping out of my endless thoughts.

"From what he said last night the Council is going to close the Arena!" Korra said frustrated.

"Korra, I think it's for the best," I tried to say.

"How can you say that?!" She snapped.

"Korra, look at the rift this has brought between benders and non-benders!" I burst at her. She looked away because she knew I was right. "As the Avatar you shouldn't care about the Finals, you should care about people's safety!" I exclaimed back at her.

"I do care about people's safety!" She snapped back at me.

"How!?" I shouted at her. She was my friend and the Avatar and I respected her for that. But sometimes she was so infuriating. Her thoughts were... unkind. She literally wanted to kick me and punch me right now.

Instead she woke up and exited the dining room angrily. I tried to calm taking a deep breath only to hear Meelo saying from beside of me "Steamed Tofu?" he asked offering me some from a plate.

I sighed "No thanks," I said dryly.

"Suit yourself"

Jinora and I chose to meditate by the garden for the rest of the day. Tenzin returned in the evening. He was frustrated and I wouldn't blame him. I hoped the Council would decide to keep the Arena closed. I knew what was coming and I hated the fact that I would help in this. Korra returned excited and pleased. I didn't even bother to talk to her for most of the time. They had apparently convinced the council to let the Arena open.

~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~

When afternoon came, I and Korra with Tenzin headed to the Arena. Tenzin wanted to accompany our esteemed Chief of Police whom I've heard so much about and still hadn't met personally. It'd be kind of an irony manipulating her officers the same night but it was still a part of the plan.

Some minutes later they reached the Arena. Korra was getting ready with her teammates and Tenzin agreed to introduce me to Chief Beifong. She seemed busy enough ordering around her officers before they let the Arena get filled with people making sure everything was safe. But no matter how many times they looked around I knew there was no use in searching. The weapons were not under the seats.