//Threats//

"The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."

Threats

~Ash~

"We got a call from the school, detention already?" Amy asks, as I plant myself on a bar stool in the kitchen

"You know it Amy" I say winking at the woman, reaching for an apple from the fruit tray. I look around the kitchen for knives.

"Here, I'll slice that for you" a voice says from behind me. I turn around to see Sarah putting on an apron.

"Oh Finally you're here, I want you to make me some apple pie, and two dozens of cupcakes for the get together I'm having with my friends tomorrow" Amy orders Sarah. Getting up from my bar stool, I motion for Sarah to take her apron off, making her look at me in confusion.

"No, you're going to have to order from the bakery two blocks from here. Sarah is going shopping with me" I say wrapping an arm around her.

"Excuse me? Who do you think you are bossing the maid around?" Amy screeches and I wince at the scratchy tone of her voice.

"You're excused and I'm Ash Harper daughter of the owner of this house" I say leading Sarah out of the kitchen.

"And one more thing, she's not a maid, she's a housekeeper, and a part of my family" I add before taking Sarah up to my room.

She takes a seat on the sofa while I got into my closet to find a small wallet to take for the shopping trip. I don't like purses too much, they're nice sometimes but it's not really my kind of thing. I like wallets that I can tuck away into a pocket of my pants or jacket.

"May I ask why you suddenly want to take me shopping?" Sarah asks as I walk out of the closet. Opening my little makeup organizer, I pull out a coral lipstick, applying a dash of it followed by a bit of mascara before giving Sarah an answer.

"I just need to get away for a bit...and I want you to come along with me" I answer, turning to face her. She nods thoughtfully.

"Oh my, forgetful old me, Tina's birthday's in a few days, I'll look for something today" she says pulling out a small notebook from her pocket to remember. Tina, short for Christina, is Sarah's youngest daughter. She's in her third year of university and just recently moved out which of course Sarah talked to me about for days. She was going off saying, I can't believe she's grown up so quickly! I still remember her first words. Sarah really cares about her family and her children. She has a close knit family. I've met them many times throughout the years, I've known Sarah since I was about four years old.

"Alright let's get a move on then shall we?" I ask clapping my hands together.

"We shall" Sarah says laughing as she hooks her arm through mine. We then make our way down the stairs and towards my car.

° • ° • ° • °

"You are five minutes late Miss Harper" the teacher says. What's her name again?

"I'm here now" I grumble, taking a seat at a desk near the door. Only an hour Ash, you can do it, I chant in my head as the teacher starts to rant on about bad behavior and something about getting somewhere in life. As she speaks, the drowsier I get and just as I am about to shut my eyes, the classroom door opens.

"So nice of you to join us Mr. Aimes" she says making me look up in confusion.

"What's good Harper?" he calls out, sagging his way over to the desk beside mine. Yes sagging is a verb in English.