Chapter 6

As I sat on the velvet sofa, I stared into eyes that were looking at me. My "older brother" looked to be about 8 years old. If he were really that old then it would be almost a seven year age difference.

I really didn't know what to say to him. A brother I had never met, or even seen. Suddenly, he covered his face and looked away from me. Do I look that strange to him? I tilted my head to the right slightly in confusion. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, because right after that, he completely turned his back on me! Getting frustrated I pout my lips a bit, stand up, and walk to the library. My sanctuary,

Not even a minute later, I notice Michael, my brother, following about 15 steps behind me. Just to test him, I would randomly stop, and start walking. He always copied me perfectly, that just goes to show that going to school makes your copying skill a lot sharper.

Feeling a bit guilty about trying to ditching my brother, I enter the library slowly and sit back down on the couch. Since Michael was already following me, it didn't take him long to sit down alongside me. The thing is, he still wouldn't talk to me. Deciding for him, that he was very shy, I took the initiative to starting to conversation.

"My name is Aliria." I say with my kindest voice possible while smiling at him.

I get myself mentally prepared as he opened his mouth. However, no voice came out. What good was the school he went to if he can't even speak! After several attempts at producing a voice and getting over a flustered face he finally spoke," Nice to meet you Aliria, I am your older brother, Michael. I am currently eight."

It can talk!... Déjà vu? Deciding to take the straightforward path I ask him," Do you find me strange or weird?" He gave me a blank stare for a while before responding with an "of course not"-thanks for the honesty.

Michael
When father first sent me Aliria's baby pictures, I was already shocked numb by how adorable she was.
An angel. Large eyes, with the most gorgeous mix of lavender and turquoise, shiny and silky soft looking gold- with a hint of silver- hair, and soft pale and rosy skin. To top of the cuteness, she had a huge smile on her face.

Completely forgetting I was still at school, when my friends took my phone away to see what I was looking at, I felt rather angry. Why should they be allowed to see Aliria. She was my baby sister. Snatching my phone back from them in attempt to prevent them from seeing her, I could tell by the look on their faces that they had seen and imbedded that image in their minds already.

After a split second of thoughts processing, I was bombarded the questions.
"Who is that?"
"What's her name?"
"When will you let us met her?"
"How old is she?"
"Where-"
Their voices were cut off by me walking away and shutting the door.  Pulling out my phone, I look below the picture and realize father sent me a message as well.

"Don't bother trying to meet Aliria, I won't let you until I feel like it! For now, you can enjoy the pictures of her I sent to you."

... What kind of father did I have. Not letting me meet my baby sister?

Skip a few months and my father was giving me a call saying that it was now or never, to schedule an appointment to meet my sister. So of course I agreed! Father then told me that I would have to wait a month before coming home, because he didn't want to give her up yet.

That one month was not wasted though. I spent 15 minutes everyday preparing myself for how our conversation would go, what I would say, and how she would reply. That is if she could speak non-gibberish.

Now when she was right in front of me, my mind went blank. After staring blankly for half a minute, I caught the look on fathers smug face. It was very obviously saying that I was screwing up my chances of being a big brother Aliria would look up to. Right after I prepare myself mentally, she very adorably tilted her head, confused. Before I could creep her it with the look on my face, I turn my back to her. Quickly realizing that was the wrong move I turn around only to see her body halfway out the door.

Not knowing what to do, I follow her. Not too close and not so far that I couldn't see her. She probably noticed me, as she would randomly break her walking, then start up again. As she entered the library, I did too, a few steps behind. When we both sat down she introduced herself.

Seeing her take the initiative, I reply,"I-...". I didn't know what to say. Come on Michael! You've been practicing for this day." Finally thinking straight, I cast a quick glance at the notes on the hand.

"Nice to meet you Aliria..." I skim through the sentences on my hand once again," I am your older brother, Michael." Then I thought, she doesn't know how old I am right? Should I tell her? Would it seem weird?..."I am currently eight."