Chapter 26

"James, I want to chat with that young lady. Call off the rest of the matches."

James gave tight smile and unsteadily replied, " Grandmaster, I understand that you wish to meet the young lady, but could you wait a little more. J-Just till when the match finishes."

A disappointing gaze fell on James, accompanied by a slightly downward ends of the mouth. "James, when the other person in a match is rendered unconscious, that means that the match has ended."

Just when James was about ready to run down to bring the lady back, when his attendant so polity reminded him that as the King he should not be doing such actions.  When reminded, he straightened out his clothes and fixed his posture. "Yes, Leon, go fetch that young lady. Tell her that the Grandmaster wants to meet her."

Leon gave a informal bow, and then left the two men waiting at the balcony.

~•~

I habitually tilted my head and listened to the man explanation. He really was just blabbering nonstop. I'd like to think of myself as patient, but that patience was running thin, so I cut into his speech. "So you want me to meet that man up there." I point at the white haired man who was staring holes into my head. 

The man only watched me with sympathetic eyes and responded with an, "Correct."

Walking into the seating area, I replaced my usual kid expression with my emotionless face. Normally, I wouldn't, but when I could clearly sense 37 guards hidden like assassins all within 10 meters of me I wouldn't be so trusting. I can't say that these people felt threatening, but definitely suspicious. Making it blatantly obvious, I study every person in the area before putting on a large grin and cheerfully asking, "Why did you ask me to come here, Grandpa?"

The man who brought me here took in a large intake of air and didn't let it back out. I stole another look at our King's expression. Frightened out of his wits. This grandpa must be important. The grandpa narrowed his eyes at me and let out a threatening pressure. It was definitely stronger than mine, way stronger. However, I didn't buckle my knees or bend my back. I stared straight into his eyes with hands clenched at my sides. We seemed to have stayed that way for hours, when in reality it was only minutes. The old man then lifted his pressure and only then did I come to realize that everyone else was flat on the ground. He gave a chuckle and asked me, "Young miss, how old are you?"

Coldly staring at him I curtly answer, "10."

He only nodded and seemed to be organizing his thoughts, "Well then, Miss Aliria, I formally request to take you as a disciple of I, the Highest Ranking Alchemist."

Not wanting to waste time I raised an eyebrow and gave a short answer, "No."

Wanting to turn around and leave I was found to be forced to stay by a force, most likely from this old man. He almost desperately asked, "Why do you not want to become my disciple? I could give you what no one else could."

I only tilted my head in response.

"Such as status, riches, skill, authority, materials... I could give you anything you wish for."

I tried to move my hand, but to no avail. Deciding it was the only way I gave him a blank stare and gave his the answer he wanted, "Yeah, sure, I'll be you disciple. Can you release me now?"

Once he did, the first thing I did was to find my group to meet up with them. As I voiced out what had just happened I was actually slightly disappointed with the responses I received. It was all in sync, urging me to honestly take this master. There was no talk about having them want me to stay with them, as a matter of fact, they informed me that I would probably have to go to the Central Continent with the old man.

~•~

They were right. Early in the next morning the old man personally showed up at our door to fetch me. When I was about to decline going, Key had shut my mouth with her hand and made the old man promise to take care of me. It was all a blur. My luggage that I didn't pack had handed over. Farewell speeches were given to me. And promises of I we will see you again soon was said to me, but I was just at a loss and confused. Why did they want to get rid of me so badly. Wanting to have an explanation before going with their forceful farewell, I ask for the grandpa to stop.

Heading back to the apartment, I'm not even able to see the door when I hear Key crying and comforting words go back and forth. Opening the door, I don't wait and ask, "Why did you want me to go so badly?" I would have to go anyway now, so there was no harm asking. 

Key opened her mouth trembling, only to nudge on Zander to explain. "This guy you call  Grandpa is one of the most powerful figures in this world. Even the King of the largest country holds nowhere as much power as him. And actually we've known for a while now that you have much more potential than what this minor country could offer you. Going to the Central Continent, and training there will do you good. Of course, we already received your parents permission to go."

Zander seemed like he was going to keep talking, but he was shut up by Key. "Y-You b-better work r-really hard when your there," her eyes teared up once again, "b-because if you don't I will-I will-" she didn't continue her threat, but tightly griped my hand. "You really have to work hard when you're there, because they are honestly all monsters there. Being abnormally powerful is normal there. Having riches beyond being able to spend is normal there. That's why I didn't want to be there anymore..." She let out a shaky air of breath and handed me a pendant. "This is my family's pass. If you ever need someone to rely on, I promise that all of the family members there will help you."

She gave me a sisterly smile and whispered, "Make it big, alright?"