Chapter 9

Kozume.

"Shit."

Kenma rarely cursed but when he does, something real is going on.

"Fuck." He almost threw his backpack out of the window as he sank to the floor in frustration. Soon enough, colorful words were raining down from his mouth. Kenma's eyes were watery with aggravation and he lost count of how many times he ran his hand through his hair.

His stuff were scattered all over his floor as he looked for one thing and one thing only.

The journal that Kuroo gave to him a long time ago.

It was missing and Kenma didn't how many times he rolled on the floor with eyes bloodshot from crying.

Kenma hated himself for having the worst memory ever. He couldn't remember where he last used it and the only thing he can guarantee is that he made sure to shove it in his bag before he left.

He gave up on searching for it an hour later and tried to focus on making dinner however, he only ended up making instant ramen because Kenma can't cook even for the sake of the universe.

Kenma really didn't think this through and that resulted into minor things affecting him greatly like the fact that he can't cook. He could feel tears forming in his eyes once again as he ate his ramen and Kenma had to wipe them away quickly in order to refrain them from falling.

"Fuck you, Tetsurou." Kenma hissed as he rested his head on the table.

The name felt foreign to say- archaic, as if the name was old.

Soon, Kenma started to blame the tall man for his emotional state because truly, Kuroo was really the one who caused it. Kenma couldn't sleep since that night because no matter how hard he tried, his thoughts always drifted back to Kuroo.

He proceeded to eat his ramen in silence but then, soft knocks came at Kenma's door making him sigh. He didn't bother to fix his hair nor did he bother to wash his face to freshen up. He didn't give a shit on how he looked.

When Kenma opened the door, his heart practically fell to his stomach in complete shock that he tried to mask it with impassiveness.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Kenma snapped at Kuroo who gave him a small smile.

"Let's go on a walk."

"How did you find me?" Kenma asked but Kuroo only stayed quiet, still smiling down him.

"I'll wait for you here. Go dress up." It was the only words that Kuroo said before he himself closed the door.

Kenma had a choice.

One, he could've left Kuroo waiting outside his door and not come with him but he chose the obvious other option.

+

Kenma wasn't so accustomed to how silent Kuroo was. He prefered to have him talk and this quietness between them was starting to trigger his anxiety.

He would often steal glances at the taller man as he tried to read him but Kenma found it hard to with Kuroo wearing such an impassive face that practically resembled an iron wall.

Kuroo stopped in front of a bench and settled on it, patting the space beside him indicating for Kenma to sit down.

Kenma felt really perplexed about what Kuroo had in mind. He found it extremely difficult to read him when he used to be an open book.

Kuroo sighed and rubbed his eyes tiredly. "People truly change." He muttered as he took out a plastic cup of what seemed like pudding.

"You still like them right?" He asked and Kenma reluctantly accepted it.

"People don't change too much." Kenma replied as he ripped the plastic spoon that was taped off the cup along with the lid.

"You mean people don't completely change." Kuroo corrected and Kenma nodded in agreement.

"K-Kuroo," Kenma hesitantly spoke as he looked down on his feet in anxiousness "Is something wrong?"

"I don't know Kenma." Kuroo turned to look at him "What do you think is wrong?" A chuckle escaped the ravenette's lips as he reached once again in his bag and brought out a familiar black leather notebook. "I believe this is yours."

Kuroo placed it on the space between them but Kenma only stared at it, expression catatonic. Kenma's hands were shaking as he nervously took the notebook back and placed it inside the small bag that he carried.

"You read it." Kenma breathed out as he looked down at his feet.

He couldn't see Kuroo's expression very well but in his peripheral, he could make out a nod.

Kenma didn't know what to say anymore and Kuroo only let the silence envelope the two of them.

Both of them watched cars drive away, of different shapes and colors. A few turned left while others turned the opposite way. Most of them followed the path ahead of them but the two didn't have a clue of where all of them were going.

"How many days until summer ends?"  Kuroo whispered, glancing at Kenma briefly

"90 days."

"Long enough." Kuroo muttered and awkwardly turned to look at Kenma with a small smile.

"I got you." He chuckled and Kenma's eyes narrowed, not because he was mad but because Kuroo was so lame.

"Do you have any idea how much that makes me want to cringe?"

Kuroo only laughed, shaking his head.

"I'll save you Kenma." Kuroo suddenly said with a new found sense of determination.

Kenma couldn't help but smile because now, as they looked into each other's eyes, Tokyo wasn't so vapid anymore. Everything seemed lively, and the air was loose.

Everything just seemed so right.

+

I'm close to finishing this book omg