(07)

Renee's P.O.V.

Alec and I are sitting in Izzy's trial right now. I hope it goes well. I just want her and Alec to be okay.

"Will I survive if I touch it?" Magnus asked looking at the Silent brother and then the sword.

"If you tell the truth." The woman sitting in the chair said.

Magnus gave the sword a second look before reaching out to touch it.

"By the power of this sword, do you swear to defend your client with integrity and honesty?"One of the Silent Brothers said

"No argument from me on that," Magnus said before letting the sword go looking scared. The Silent Brother stepped away to stand next to the chair.

"Make your case, warlock." She said. Here we go.

"My case is simple. It is true that Isabelle Lightwood acted against orders of the Clave by trying to free the Seelie, Meliorn. But she did not act against the interests on the Clave. Preventing the forced questioning and the possible death of a Seelie may have saved the Accords." Magnus said

"We're not here to speculate what might have happened if the defendant hadn't interfered."

"You mean what might have happened if she hadn't stopped the Silent Brothers from torturing a Seelie?"

"I await a valid argument. Do you have one?"

"What you really want is the Mortal Cup. My client doesn't have it. Since this whole proceeding isn't about what it's really about, I loved to have this case dismissed."

"You're out of order."

"No. This whole thing is out of order. It's not Isabelle's fault. It's the Cup! Put the Cup on trial!" Magnus said before sitting down next to Isabelle.

Izzy got up to sit on the stand. Lydia then stood up in front of everyone ready to make her case. By the angel, what is she trying to do?

"You have led us to believe that you alone carried out this operation. But Clary Fairchild was seen near the City of Bones that night." Lydia said

"Maybe she was out for a walk," Izzy answered back

"And you expect us to believe that you distracted the guards, and escaped with the prisoner on your own?"

"Pretty slick, right?"

"I suggest you think about how slick it would be when Valentine uses the Mortal Cup to raise an army of rogue Shadowhunters."

"I don't want Valentine to succeed."

"Well, that's the first sane thing I've heard from you."

"You know what's insane. Thinking we have the right to treat a Downworlder life as worthless."

"Isabelle, I should warn you that everything you say here will be considered in the verdict."

"Good, consider this. Valentine didn't come out of nowhere. We use our angel blood to justify everything we do, just like him. Like him, we forget that we are not only angels. We are part mundane. We can be afraid. And fear makes us cruel. And we turn out fear to Downworlders just as Valentine did. And just as he did, we will turn an each other."

"You think we're doing that to you?"

"You have to answer that for yourself... Madam Inquisitor." Izzy said looking out towards me and Alec before walking back to her seat.

Magnus preceded to get up again saying,"I'd like to call Lydia Branwell to the stand."

"I don't see the relevance."