(08)

Alec's P.O.V.

"I'm looking for Renee," I said as I saw Clary and Luke in the infirmary.

"Have you seen her? I don't mean to interrupt you-"

"No, stay for a minute," Clary said.

"I gotta get back to the station. Call me if anything changes." Luke said.

"Yeah," Clary replied. Before Luke slapped me on the arm and left.

I slowly walked closer to Clary. As a stood next to her I let out a deep sigh.

"So, how is she?" I asked being considerate.

"Same, I guess. Alec, I know you and I don't always see eye to eye on things. Actually, we never see eye to eye on anything, but I do want to thank you for everything you've done to get my mom back." She said. Maybe it's time to let up a little on Clary, just for now.

"Actually I... I should thank you. I don't know what would have happened to Isabelle after the trial if you hadn't returned the Cup. You saved my sister, so thank you." I said before I could see a smile start to spread on her face.

"Yeah, my whole world turned upside down, and you and I thanking each other, that's too much." She said as I let out a slight laugh.

"Yeah," I said before I heard my phone ring.

"Magnus needs to speak with me. He might have some information about how to wake your mother up or.. stop Valentine. It's important." I said leaving the room.

*Magnus' Apartment*

"Hello... Magnus? You said you needed to talk to me." I said walking in not really know my I was here.

"Nice to see you, Alec. I wasn't sure if you'd come." He said before snapping his fingers and a wine glass appeared in my hands.

"You know how I hate to drink alone." He made the move to clink glasses with me as I moved to set it on the table.

"I didn't come here to drink. Do you have any information-" I said

"On the warlock who cast a spell on Jocelyn? I'm looking into it. But... you never really finished our conversation after Izzy's trial. About your wedding."

"There's no conversation to be had. I'm getting married. You and I, we understand marriage very differently. I'm a Shadowhunter, this is about family and tradition, honor."

"Honor? Where's the honor in living a lie?"

"What lie, Magnus?" I asked.

"Just tell me you're in love with Renee, and I'll stop."

"I AM, I have been since I was 15. I have wanted nothing but a life with her since at long as I could remember. Why do you keep pushing? I.. Yo... You... You're confusing me." I said as I turned to leave.

"Confusion is part of it. That's how you find out if something's there. Emotions are never black and white. They're more like symptoms... You lose your breath every time they enter a room... Your heart beats faster when they walk by... Your skin tingles when you stand close enough to feel their breath." He said making me feel all those things in a span of seconds when I have only ever felt those things with Renee in waves, but with her it all came like a storm, to be repeated until she was in my arms.

To know that she was with me and safe. To know she would never be gone to me.

"I know you feel what I feel, Alec." I turned around at his statement.

"I do, but not towards you. This is all just a game to you, isn't it? You flirt, you laugh, you use magic, but at the end of the day, what do you risk? Even if I did feel something for you... you want me to give up my life for you, the family I could build? I have to do what's right for me. I could lose my family, my career, the girl I love, everything! You just don't get it." I said thinking about Renee and all she has given up for me in the last few months.

She would never see her parents again. She would live here and maybe never go home to Idris. She would never get to work for the Clave like she wanted to, but she would have me, Izzy, Jace and maybe, maybe Clary with her to build the family we both want.

"You have a choice to make... I will not ask again." He said before I turned my head back to see him gone.

*The next day*

Renee and I were walking around the Institute making sure some last minute things were ready for the wedding. I had yet to tell her about my conversation with Magnus just as I saw him get up from a chair and Renee walk over to him.

"Magnus, I didn't know you were here." Renee said

"That was the point." He said quietly.

"We're just here to greet a few representatives of the Clave that will be at the wedding tomorrow." She said as Magnus did nothing but look at me.

"How long are you staying?" She asked trying to be nice.

"What's going on here, I don't remember hearing anything about a meeting."

"Magnus figured out that Ragnor Fell is the warlock who could make my mom wake up. " Clary mentioned.

"How can I help?" I ask

"We're just recovering a warlock, Alec. We got this covered." Jace said

"Besides, you have emissaries from the Clave to meet. You don't want to tarnish you family's perfectly-crafted image now, do you?" Magnus said with a slight bite to his tone.

"Again, great seeing you, Magnus." She said before stepping away from the small group.

Renee's P.O.V.

I waited for Jace, Alec and Clary to leave hoping to talk to Magnus alone. He was still inside the Institute on his way out.

"Magnus, I was wondering if I could talk to you."

"Why, you've won the battle for Alec's heart-"

"But not the war. I know that you feel something for him. He told me what happened when I was gone."

"Now what? He loves you and you him."

"I know what your life would be like together. Children, marriage, a happiness you could only dream of."

"How do you know these things?"

"I've been to other dementions, I know how happy you make him."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Alec and I are like color and black and white. You think we don't make sense apart but together we're perfect.

"And although Alec may not love you, he does care for you Magnus. So if Alec does choose you, if he really wants you. You have my blessing."

"He doesn't. You've won the war Renee. You get to be with your soulmate in this world, and I'm sorry that I'm the reason he never got to know his son." He said as he started to cry.

"Magnus, did he know?" I asked

"Alec, no. But will you tell him? After the wedding. I can't have him know that..." He said turning to leave.

"Yeah, I will." I said walking until I saw Jace.

"Renee...." He said. Oh no.

A/N: Leave your thoughts, and what was Renee talking to Magnus about? What is Magnus apologizing to her for? What son?