Chapter Six

"I hope step one worked." Marley said on the drive home.

"Oh it worked, didn't you see his face, he looked like he was half in love with her." Ireland said.

"I hope so" Roman said.

"So are Sawyer and Nolan going to his house today or tomorrow?" Marley asked.

"Tomorrow since it's a Saturday." Roman said.

"Cool" Marley said. They made it to the house to find their mother's car in the driveway.

"That's weird, we are usually the first ones home first." Roman said parking his car next to Beth's. They got out and headed inside the house and heard two sets of crying from upstairs and headed upstairs to investigate. The crying came from Nixon and Royal's room.

"It's okay, don't sit up lay back down." Beth said.

"Mom, what's going on?" Ireland said.

"Nixon and Royal caught the cold." Beth said making the others go pale. A cold was a bad thing to have when you live with someone who has a heart disease.

"What are we going to do since grandpa is away on a fishing trip and grandma is on a cruise?" Roman said.

"I don't know" Beth said moving over to Nixon's bed to give him medicine.

"We can ask Mr. Dixon?" Marley suggested.

"Yeah, he's single and it's close to us." Roman said.

"I can't ask him to watch Nolan." Beth said.

"Why not, he's a good guy and I bet he will say yes if he knew the circumstances." Ireland said.

"Plus he's our only option, we can't risk Nolan getting sick." Roman said. Beth sighed and looked at them.

"Fine, ask him after you pick up the kids from school, oh and Marley will you go check on the little ones in the playroom?" She asked.

"Sure" Marley said then left. Roman and Ireland headed downstairs and out of the house. They got into Roman's car and drove to the elementary school and picked up Luka before going over to the middle school and picking up Nolan and Sawyer.

"Why isn't mom picking us up?" Sawyer asked.

"Nixon and Royal are sick" Luka said.

"I hate having a heart disease." Nolan said.

"Buddy, you are on the top of the list for a heart transplant so be hopeful." Roman said.

"Doesn't mean I can't hate it." Nolan said.

"True, but guess what?" Ireland said.

"What?" He said.

"We got mom to let us ask Mr. Dixon if you could stay with him." Ireland said making Nolan smile.

"Who is Mr. Dixon?" Luka asked.

"I guess we can let you into our secret if you promise not to tell mom." Roman said.

"I promise" Luka said.

"Mr. Dixon is our history teacher and next door neighbor so we are trying to get mom and Mr. Dixon together cause they have great chemistry." Roman said.

"Cool" Luka said.

"Nolan, do you have the list I gave you yesterday?" Roman asked.

"Yeah, I put it in my backpack" Nolan said.

"Great" he said parking the car in their driveway. "Okay Sawyer and Luka go inside Marley is waiting for you."

"If Nolan is going to stay at Mr.Dixon's house then I'm staying too." Sawyer said as Luka got out.

"Fine, but if mom gets mad it's on you." Ireland said as Luka closed the door and ran inside. They then got out and walked next door to see Mr. Dixon was home. They walked up to his door and knocked and a minute later Mr. Dixon opened the door and smiled.

"Hey guys" he said.

"Hey, we have a favor to ask you." Roman said.

"Okay, what is it?" He asked.

"My brother here has congenital heart disease and needs a place to stay for a few days cause the twins are sick with the cold. He can't be around that, so would you mind taking in two kids since our grandparents can't watch them." Roman said.

"Two?" He said.

"Yeah, Nolan and Sawyer are close and Sawyer won't go anywhere without Nolan." Ireland said.

"Why not come on" he said. They all entered the house and saw his bachelor pad.

"So Nolan has an alarm on his watch that let's him know to take his medicine which should be in his backpack, both of them have not done their homework and that's one of mom's rules, homework before play." Ireland said.

"Okay, what time do they go to bed?" He asked.

"Mom has every ready for bed by seven thirty and in bed by eight." Roman said.

"Okay" he said.

"You guys be good for Mr. Dixon or Mom will hear about it." Ireland said as they headed for the door.

"Just leave already so we can do our homework." Sawyer said.

"Sawyer, lose the attitude" Ireland said making Sawyer roll her eyes.

"What did Mom say about rolling your eyes?" Roman said.

"That it's rude" Sawyers sighed.

"Then don't do it" Roman said then left with Ireland. Sawyer sighed before turning to look at Mr. Dixon.

"What's your name cause I'm not calling you Mr. Dixon cause I have a brother named Nixon." She said.

"My name is Daryl" he said chuckling.

"Cool" she said then pulled out her homework and went to join Nolan at Daryl's table.

Daryl watched as the two did their homework and wondered what was their story. He wanted to know all of the Greenes stories including Beth's. He wanted to know what life changing event happened to her to make her travel the world helping kids. The doorbell ringing pulled him from his thoughts he went over and opened the door to see...