Chapter Sixteen

The next day was a busy day for the Greene family since Roman left last night for a two day camping trip with his friends. First, Beth and Ireland had to go buy a used car that is in good condition, it was a white 1969 Chevy Impala with red leather seats. After that Beth had to got shopping for the house before heading home to get ready for her date with Daryl. She decided to wear a summer dress with a fedora hat plus some orange flats.

She was half way done with getting ready when all hell broke lose. Luka came in her room to inform her that Ireland had said that she was taking Marley, Nolan and Sawyer out for a drive and won't be home till late, then her phone rang and it was her babysitter telling her that she had caught the flu and couldn't make it. Her day was falling apart all at once and she couldn't move fast enough to save it. She sighed and sat down on her bed, dreading the call she was about to make. She pulled out her phone and called Daryl.

"Hello" he said.

"Hey, so my babysitter for the little kids has the flu and my oldest kids bailed on me so I can't go on a picnic with you today." She said.

"Bring them with you." He said.

"What?" She said surprised.

"Just bring the kids with you, we can take your car and go to the kids park and have a big picnic there." He explained.

"I couldn't ask you to spend our second date watching little kids." She said.

"I feel like I already know them from what your older kids have told me so I don't mind watching them while we are on a date." He said.

"You are the sweetest man I have ever met." She smiled.

"Thank you, so I will see you in a minute." He said.

"Okay" she said.

"Bye" he said.

"Bye" she said then hung up. She got up and went downstairs to prepare food for the kids to eat on the picnic. The doorbell rang making Beth smile then she headed out of the kitchen and into the living room to answer the door. She opened the door too see Daryl standing there wearing blue jeans and a dark blue t-shirt and carried a picnic basket and a big blanket.

"Hey" he said.

"Hey, come on in I'm just finishing up packing the kids lunches." She said moving away from the door. He came in and followed her into the kitchen.

"So you said the older kids bailed on you?" He asked.

"Roman was invited to go camping with his friends for the weekend so he went last night and Ireland took Marley, Nolan and Sawyer on a drive in her new car and won't be back till late." She said.

"I heard about Marley's fall down the stairs, how's she doing?" He asked.

"She's not happy about the diagnosis but she's glad she didn't break it, plus with her "friend" hanging out more I'm guessing she's doing very well." She said.

"Friend?"

"Marley is oblivious to the fact that her best friend Dakota is in love with her." Beth said.

"Really, and how are you taking it?" He asked.

"I'm okay with it plus I'm having fun teasing her about it." She said.

"I bet" he chuckled as Nixon, Royal, Mae, Paris, Solomon and Luka who was carrying Giovanni came in.

"Hey guys, I want you to meet someone, this is Daryl" Beth said. "Daryl, this is Nixon, Royal, Mae, Paris, Solomon, Luka and baby Giovanni."

"Nice to meet you all" he said. Nixon and Royal ran up to Daryl and stared at him. Daryl looked down at the twins wondering what they were thinking. They stared at him for a minute more before looking at each other and shrugging. They then took off out of the kitchen followed by Soloman and Mae. Luka handed Giovanni to Beth before turning to Daryl.

"The shrug means they like you." He said.

"All I said was nice to meet you?" He said.

"Doesn't matter, the twins go by their instincts and something told them that you are a good guy, that's all they needed to know." Luka said before taking Paris's hand and leading her out of the kitchen.

"Looks like you got more than half of my children to like you." Beth said.

"And did I get the mother of the children to like me?" He asked.

"Wait until the date is over and I'll tell you." She responded then left the kitchen to grab Giovanni's car seat. She put him in his carseat before buckling him in then picking it up and turning. Daryl had made his way over to the door with the two picnic baskets, the blanket and the kids. They left the house and got into Beth's minivan. Once the kids were in Beth drove them all to the kids park. Beth parked the car and unbuckled her seatbelt before turning to look at her kids.

"Okay you guys listen up, you guys will stay in sight of mom and Daryl at all times, do not for any reason leave the playground without either me or Daryl and you will eat at least half of your lunch before you can go play, understood?" She asked. They all nodded in understanding. Beth then got out and let the kids out before unbuckling Giovanni and taking him out. Daryl grabbed the baskets and the blanket and walked over to Beth. They all walked over to a nice place on the grass where Daryl spread the blanket out. They all sat down on it and Daryl and Beth began taking things out of the baskets and dishing them on plates for everyone. After the kids ate their food Beth let them go play.

"Finally we are alone" Beth said then looked down at Giovanni who shoved a cheerio in his mouth. "Well almost alone" Daryl chuckled.

"I'm glad I got to meet the kids that Roman, Marley and Ireland talk about a lot." He said making Beth sigh.

"I have a confession to make." She said.