Chapter Seven

*Holly*

Zack’s idea was golden. It had started raining during our congregation in Starbucks and it was a fairly balmy day, meaning many people were taking shelter anywhere they could find it. In other words, the coffee shop was overly crowded after only a few minutes. Luckily, none of us were too afraid of looking like idiots in the pouring rain.

That’s right; Zack suggested we play in the rain. As childish as it may seem, it was so fun. We raced each other down the street (which Rian won) before deciding to play hide and seek. I swear we acted like 6 year olds on that day.

Carly was stuck being “it”, so as soon as she started counting her way to fifty, the rest of us ran our separate ways. The rules were simple really – we could hide anywhere on the street, careful to not go past any corner or into any store. I chose to hide in a space in between two buildings, far too narrow to be considered any sort of an alley. I was also the second one found, just after Jack.

One by one we were all found, and Carly ended up winning the game. At this point, we were all drenched from head to toe and shivering. I was positive I’d be getting sick that day, but it was well worth it.

Marianne suggested we all go back to our hotel and dry off, and no one objected. I was more than happy to wash the cold rain out of my hair and ditch my sopping wet clothes for sweatpants and a Doctor Who tee. Being one of the first to be done getting changed and dry, I made my way into the boys’ room only to find everyone but Alex playing Call of Duty: Black Ops II.
“I want to play!” I screeched, nearly diving for the empty space on Zack’s bed. He only chuckled before handing me a controller and saying “Knock yourself out.”

I was the first to lose, and was completely embarrassed. I always beat all of my friends back home! It just wasn’t fair. I complained and fell backward on the bed, pretending to suffocate myself with Zack’s pillow. In all honesty, it just gave me a reason to sniff it. I wasn’t sure what cologne he used, but man he smelled amazing!

The boys took their showers one by one before choosing to head to the lobby with the girls. I for one was still lying on Zack’s bed, watching him continue to play the video game. He was better than I had expected and I was actually impressed.

“You know you could try again,” he said, glancing back at me.

“I could, but that would involve sitting back up and I don’t want to make that kind of effort right now,” I joked. It wasn’t a complete lie; I was right about the soaking rain making me sick and I was already starting to feel like shit.

Zack noticed me shivering and decided it would be funny to pull me up and over into his lap before pulling a blanket over the both of us.

“What are you doing?” my teeth were chattering and I was sure I was beginning to run a fever. At least it would hide the redness that was forming in my cheeks thanks to the boy I was sitting on.

“You looked cold,” he said defensively with a smirk.

“I was cold. I think I’m getting sick,” I admitted. I didn’t want his pity, but I wasn’t going to lie.

“Can I take care of you?” Zack asked shyly, his face nearly matching mine in color.

I slowly nodded and felt my heart rate pick up as he lowered us back on his pillows and gently moved me over to lie next to him. He pulled the blanket over us a bit more before tugging me closer to his chest. His arms were wrapped around my waist and I was slowly but surely warming up.

“Thank you,” I whispered, feeling a bit uncomfortable. It wasn’t like I didn’t like having his arms around me and all, but I had only known this guy for a couple of days. Not to mention he was my favorite band member, and I really just didn’t want to be one of “those” girls.

“This trip was one of the best decisions we’ve had,” he said in a small voice. I really liked his shyness, despite the fact that he seemed at ease with me from the start. I’d always had that impact on people – even the quietest would open up and feel comfortable around me.

“I agree,” I said with a small smile.

Zack only tightened his arms around me and we just laid there in silence for a while. I really did feel a bit better already, just knowing that this boy already cared about me. Too bad I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing.

I know this was sort of a filler, but I've had major writer's block for the past month. I'm just not sure how to shake it! If anyone has any tips, please feel free to share in the comments.
Vote, Follow, and let me know what you think/how I can improve this story! Thanks :D
I hope you all have a great week! (: