Chapter Twenty-Two

*Marianne*

Just like that, it seemed that the summer of my life was coming to an end - only it was just the beginning for something even bigger. I had learned a lot about myself over the two weeks, lost some friends, gained some others, and fallen in love. 

The morning we had to leave London was the hardest day of my life. After years of hoping to meet Holly, it finally happened and was over. I didn’t know if I’d ever see her after that last day. We were separating to our own opposite sides of the planet.

Except I was going to make a few pit stops on the way home. 

France - now that was something else entirely. I’d never in a million years imagined traveling to The City of Love with the man I was in love with. It never once seemed even remotely possible, but there I was, preparing to fly to Paris that afternoon.

I kept crying.

I was heartbroken.

But I was ecstatic.

How does that even work?

I wished with all of my being that Holly would casually change her mind and decide to go with us. Not only because I wasn’t ready to say goodbye yet, but also for Zack. The poor guy was wrapped around her finger.

How did we both get so lucky?

I pondered that one question whilst lying on mine and Jack’s bed, staring at the ceiling. Meanwhile, he was finally packing. I couldn’t figure out what would possess him to procrastinate until the last morning... what a loser.

Holly came running into my room with tears streaming down her face and I fell off the bed. How smooth. 

“What’s wrong?” I asked although I already knew the answer.

Holly wiped the tears from her cheeks and croaked, “I’m afraid I’m going to lose him. I just got Zack and now we’re leaving and... oh God. Why did I say yes to him in the first place? Long distance relationships rarely work and fuck this all. I’m an idiot.” By the end of her rant, she was hyperventilating.

“You’re not an idiot, Hols. Zack really loves you - anyone with eyes can see it. You’ll be fine. He won’t let you go so easily,” I promised.

“I just wish I could go, you know? Obviously I can’t, and it’s tearing me apart.”

“Couldn’t you put off college for a semester?” I asked, feeling bad for her.

“No, it’s already paid for. And I’m not just going to leave my brother. I can’t. Marianne... why is life this way?” Holly was crying even harder.

I hugged the life out of her and whispered, “I wish I knew, Hols. I really wish I knew.” 

*******

We left the hotel a bit earlier than we had originally planned, just to hit Starbucks one last time.

“You know, if it wasn’t for this one simple cafe, we might not have ever met,” Jack stated, tracing circles on the back of my hand with his thumb.

“Oh, I’m sure we would’ve met at the hotel or something. I mean it’s hard to not run into your next-door neighbors at least once, right?” I laughed.

Rian chuckled and said, “Well, fun fact about that. We were actually going to move to a hotel across town because some fans found out where we were staying. But then we met you and once these two set their sights on you - it was a lost cause.”