Chapter 8

Chapter 8

          I can’t put this off any longer. The list of things I must thank Jeff for has grown so I pick up the phone after June leaves. My telephone number is blocked because of the work I do. I dial his number hoping he will see the blocked number and not answer, so I can leave a polite message. Two rings and he answer, “Evans and I sincerely hope

this is Irene Jefferson.”

Man. Do I remember this voice?  He sounds a combination of professional, dreamy and sexy. Instantly I regret never hearing him argue a case in court.

“You are very perceptive and kind, Attorney Evans,” I was    professional and sincere. “The plants are beautiful, the candy was delicious, the donation very generous and your groceries over the top. Thank you very, very much. 

“You are more than welcome Irene. Please call me if I can help you or the shelter in any way.”

“Thank you and I will.” We both hang up.

Wow. Just that simple. No pressure or trying to drop by. Oh, he is good and I should definitely avoid him like the plague. 

******************************************************************

          The pain is getting better, my bruised hip and arm are healing nicely but I was bored and tired of being in the house. The telephone rang, and I knew without looking at the caller ID that the caller was Jeffrey Evans.

“Good afternoon Attorney Evans,” I say in my most business like voice.

“Don’t you think caller ID is a wonderful invention?” said Jeffery.

“I knew it was you without looking at the caller ID,” I replied without taking the time to think about the implications of that statement.

 “That’s good,” said Jeffrey with a smile in his voice.  “Did you also know that I have been busy all morning and wanted to call you several times?”

“No, but you are probably picking up on my boredom vibes. I have run out of cleaning task and things to do around here. I can’t remember how I managed to stay home for two years when Grace was a baby.”  

“Can I take you for a ride or out to dinner later today?”

“I appreciate the offer but my daughter is bringing me a novel to read when she leaves work. I am a serious reader so my mind will shift once I start reading.”

“I see. Do you have a guy to pick up things for you so you don’t have to wait when you want something?”

I didn’t know how to answer. Am I crossing boundaries too soon?  I appreciate his kindness but I didn’t want to discuss my personal life.

“Attorney Evans…”

“Jeff, please.”

“Okay Jeffery then…”

“Irene, we have known each other for over twenty five years. Surely calling me Jeff is not a violation of any principles.”

I walked to my kitchen and sat on a chair. I don’t want to have this conversation in my bedroom. I wanted to keep it friendly but avoid discussing the past. Jeffery is now part of the governing body of my agency. I would have a hard time justifying insulting a new board member.

“Baby, I am getting a signal my jury is returning. I have to run. I hope to talk to you again very soon so we can continue this conversation.”

I do not reply and he hangs up. “Baby” is too familiar. I will have to consider this conversation. Processing this thought, I realize there is not a rule that I have to answer my telephone.