Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Grace is at the desk across from Irene when the hotline phone rings. A volunteer is answering the other line so Grace reaches for the phone. It is the hospital emergency room calling about a victim in emergency. Grace reaches for the hotline call sheet.

“The victim is in very serious condition,” the caller reports “and very traumatized. The doctors are still with her and she must be taken to x-ray so it will be a while. Poor thing, it is going to take a while just to clean her up. I am going to be here for eight more hours so I will let you know.”

          “Call me back but can I get basic data now?” Grace says with pen in hand.

“Okay let’s see. She is a 29 year old black female. She was found in a vacant house. We don’t know if it was domestic but she has definitely been raped. Her first name is Jamesetta last name Mays. Jamesetta is J-A-M”

“Oh thank God! Thank you God,” Grace is screaming in the phone alarming Irene and causing Rita to run into the office.

“Yes. Yes. Jamesetta Mays will go to the top of our list and we may come over soon,” Grace says while reaching for Kleenex to wipe her face. ”We will probably be there soon.” Grace knows it is a breach of Jamey’s confidentiality to tell the nurse she is a resident of the shelter and has been missing.

“Please don’t do that until we call back,” the caller replies. There are several police here with this victim. It is an unusually busy night and the police have control of her. Also the media is here asking questions. She is very dehydrated in addition to her injuries and may be in a light coma. We will call you.”

Grace gives the caller her cell number and hangs up. Grace, Irene and Rita sit in the office and cry. This is a prayer and dream come true. The evening advocate walks into the office and seeing the three of them crying looks very sad. “I know we all loved Ms. Moody. When is the funeral again?” she says unaware of what has just happened. Reaching for a tissue she starts to cry too and Grace is too overcome to tell her what has happened.