Chapter 36

Chapter 36

The lights flicker again and waiters increase efforts to clear dinner dishes.  It is hard not to notice Jeffery’s seat is still empty. I see Janet look at and then answer her cell phone. Hanging up, she announces Jeffery is very sorry and leaving his office now which is not far away. I have been careful to sit between Grace and June which does not escape Janet’s watchful eyes. There is only one seat remaining.

“Lots of luck parking,” Jackie says causing smiles and some laughter around the table.

          Angela Winbush is performing when Jeffery arrives. I don’t see him come in but I sense his presence without looking in that general direction.  After I hear a couple of quiet hellos, I turn around, smile and nod. He looks disappointed but manages to smile. He is still watching me when I return to watching Angela’s performance. I have never seen her in person so I appreciate the good seat and use the opportunity to focus on her performance. She is beautiful and so much slimmer than in videos. Her gown is breath taking gorgeous and draped on a flawless body. She moves smoothly to her song “Angel” in beautiful high heels probably custom made to match the gown. I manage to watch the entire show without giving much attention to activities at the table.  Angela finishes her set and as I am clapping, I prepare to face Jeffery and greet him properly.  Needless to say he is sitting in the empty seat next to Jackie. I turn to find him looking at me with an expression reflecting sadness and hurt. My expression would be the same if my pride was not in over drive so I smile sweetly while fighting tears.

          Jackie reaches in her purse and produces a thick envelope and tells Jeff she knows he is going to love her photos. Time to go! I stand up to make a quick exit to the ladies’ room when someone hugs me from behind.  He is calling my name over and over. The voice sounds familiar. When I turn it is Sam, Harold’s old golfing buddy and fellow insurance agent. Our families had taken a couple of vacations together. The last time I saw Sam and his wife, Stella was at Harold’s funeral. For a while she and I had talked occasionally.

“I have someone I want you to meet,” Sam says taking my hand and leading me two tables away. At his table Sam drapes an arm around my shoulders and begins to introduce me to his daughter and two beautiful grandchildren. I ask about Stella and he informs me she is in a nursing home after a stroke last year. The sadness in his eyes causes me to give him a big hug.  I chat for a few minutes until my bladder tells me to say good-bye.

          “This man loves you, Irene” June says matter-of-factly, finding me in the restroom applying lipstick. “What is wrong with you?” She looks very frustrated.

“Fools rush in, June. I am not making any hasty decisions and have no plans to be hurt again.”

“Again? What do you mean?”

“Long story for another time.”

“Sweetie, the single scene is crazy right now. Most women are glad for a w&w man and you have a winner in Jeff.”

“What is w&w”  

“Walking and working. Between prisons, funerals, AIDS and drug addiction, good looking, educated Black men who aren’t violent, don’t like other men and can write a $5,000 check to a charity, are at a premium.”

“I hear you but again fools rush in. Right now Jackie looks more his speed.”

“You see Jackie but I see him watching you and barely noticing her in spite of her non-stop chatter. She is like a Chatty Cathy doll. When you walked away with that guy I thought he was going to explode.”

“Well he will be alright and so will I.”

The door pops open and my daughter walks in. She is disconnecting her cell phone. 

“I am going to leave soon. Did you need a ride or anything?”

“No, I am going to ride with June. It is out of the way for you. Are you okay?”

“Yes but I want to stop at a friend’s birthday party on my way home. I need someone else to see this outfit.”

“I am ready to go too if you don’t mind,” June says with a tired smile.

“Tell you what, I will go and pay for the parking of both cars if you will tell our host we are leaving.”

June shakes her head as she leaves to tell Jeff thank you and good night. I stop at the silent auction table where I make a bid then head to the valet parking station.

          At the station I have to get in line to pay for the parking and get the cars. It is a nice cloudless night. The sky is clear and the stars seem to be trying to outshine each other. Two smokers step out behind me causing me to go farther toward the end of the building. I peep to see if June and Grace’s cars have been delivered just in time to see Jeffery looking around in the lobby then walking back into the Korissian room.