Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I was in full entertainment mode.  I was up, dressed and June’s favorite chocolate chip cookies would come out of the oven in four minutes.  Oso had been fed and had fresh water on the patio, where he was asleep on his mat.  I had found enough energy to clean the living room, kitchen and the hall bathroom. My favorite cranberry candle was burning.  The aroma coming out of the bathroom, mixed with the smell of fresh baked cookies had created a good atmosphere for talking.  I put the last cookie on a plate when the doorbell rang.  At the door I was surprised to find both June and Jeff.  I hugged each of them and suggested we talk in the kitchen.  As soon as we sat down, June started to speak, “There is some important information you need to have.  It affects serious safety concerns.”

I am confused.  What safety concerns?  Operating a domestic violence shelter requires a constant watchful eye, and following our guidelines is essential to keeping everyone safe.  Has the staff discussed something with June that I’m not aware of?  Is it about the fire?  We passed a fire inspection six months ago with flying colors.

I looked at June, puzzled, and she looked at Jeff.  He had been looking at her, but now he turned to me.  It was his serious, concerned look that got my attention.

“Irene, we need to share with you some very important information.  The fire marshal at the scene told me his final report is not finished, but it will say that the fire was not accidental.  It was deliberately set.  Friday, I was told by Detective Boyle that they were trying to get so much information at the scene, because they do not believe MS Moody died from a heart attack.  Luminary findings indicate she was murdered. I discussed this with the executive board after the open house.  You were so hurt by her death that we didn’t want to tell you this until we had more information.  I was going to tell you last night, but then the fire at the shelter happened.  Then…..”

“Then?  There’s more?”  I felt like this was too much to process.  How could there be more? My hand has been covering my mouth since he said Ms. Moody had been murdered.

“Calls started to come in at the shelter from a guy with a mechanical sounding voice, asking if he could speak to Jamesetta Mays, followed by real crazy laughter.  That’s why Rita was still at the shelter.  The number was blocked, but she recorded the last three messages.”  Jeff stopped to give me time to process all he had told me.

“Is that all?” I asked, looking from him to June.

Jeff and June again looked at each other, then back at me.

“No, your car accident,” Jeff began, “may have been caused by a driver intentionally running you off the road.  There were two witnesses who told police they saw a white SUV force you off the road.  My investigator checked and found white paint on your vehicle.”

I put my head in my hands and reviewed all the charges.

“Okay. Okay.  You’re telling me my shelter was set on fire, my friend was killed, someone tried to kill me, and Jamey may be in harm’s way?”  I asked without looking up.  Wow!

June finally spoke, “Sweetie, we have to make some plans. We do not want anything to happen to you. All of this cannot be a coincidence.”

I feel a shifting in my emotions. My hurt and dismay is being replaced by anger. I put my hand over my mouth afraid of what I may say if I speak. No, I can hold this. I look up and into Jeff’s eyes. He shifts in his chair obviously uncomfortable.  

“So what do I do? Shut the shelter down and put sixteen women and children in the street? You heard Grace calling shelters tonight. Domestic violence and homeless shelters are full. So we throw the families out knowing they may have no choice but to return to their abusers. And what? Wish them well and hope and pray this time they don’t get killed?

June, you are not new on the domestic violence block. We all understand the dangers we face. We tighten up the rules. Have the staff come for a special training but we don’t let some bastard scare us into closing.”

Tears are all over the table in front of me. I feel the wetness on the silk front of my caftan. I think of Ms. Moody refrigerated at the morgue or funeral home. I lay my head on my arms on the table. My sobs are the only sound in the room. After a few minutes I raise my head and try to look at June.

“You are my board. Tell me what to do and I will make it happen.”

I put my head in my hands again. Stressed. Embarrassed. Hurt. I feel June as she hugs me and says in a strained voice she is going to the bathroom. I can hear the tears in her voice. A minute later I hear water running in the sink followed by the refrigerator door opening.

“Irene, I am going to heat us some soup. We all need to eat something. I want to hug you but I am afraid to touch you. I may not be able to let you go.”

I nod my head completely understanding.

********

June returned with fresh lipstick and red eyes. Jeff had placed bowls of soup on the table. We quietly eat soup followed by warm chocolate chip cookies and cold milk. The atmosphere has started to shift from depressed to peaceful. Conversation has been limited to how happy the women were to see the new building. June feels our moving to a new building will help our current concerns. She stands and reaches for her purse.

“Look, I have to go home and spend some quality time with my husband.”

Jeff reaches for his jacket and we all move to the front door. June hugs us and leaves. Jeff stands against the open door and takes both my hands in his. I look up into his eyes and see the emotions plainly readable.

“Jeff, I need you to hold me for a minute but I need your word you will hold me then go home. He releases my hands and put his arms around my shoulders. My arms circle his waist under his jacket. His arms tighten as I step closer and lay my head on his chest. I can feel and hear the rapid beat of his heart under my ear. He smells wonderful. I am debating stepping closer and holding him tighter when he kisses the top of my head while sliding his arms down and takes my hands again. I refuse to look into his eyes again. Afraid he will see in my eyes what I saw in his. I am finally able to speak, “Jeff, call me when you get home.”

“May I go to my sister’s and play X-Box with my nephew? I can’t do my house alone right now.”

“Yes, you may but call me later.” He has made me smile.

To his credit, he kisses my forehead and leaves. I stand against the closed door after he leaves. Only I know if he had refused to leave he would have met no resistance. Finally I start down the hall to my bedroom as my phone starts to ring. It stops as I go in my bathroom and collect bath salts and light several candles. My phone starts to ring again as I close the bathroom door. I know it is Jeff and he wants to come back. He is regretting he left.

He wants to return and make love to me. I saw the love and need in his eyes before we hugged. I share his need but I have questions. Does he want to share my bed for the night or the rest of our lives? Is he in love for now or forever?

In the distance I hear my phone ringing again. “Oh God,” I cry out as I sink deeper in my tub “I am in love with Jeffery Evans again.”