Chapter 33

Chapter 33

          From the door I can see only Jamey’s hair. Her thick and long hair had been her pride and joy. It framed her pretty face and was so bouncy when she walked in the door. Jamey was a deep caramel color complexion. She was medium height and build. Her hair was black with streaks of brown and auburn. As I walk closer to the bed I see her hair matted and packed to her head. She has definitely lost probably twenty pounds or more and her complexion has an ashen appearance. Her once long, pretty and natural fingernails are broken and filthy dirty. Two fingers are in splints so they are probably broken. She has IVs running from two separate hanging containers of solution. There is oxygen going into her nose. From the door I had been able to hear her labored breathing. While I look at her a white fluid begins to run from her mouth. I take a tissue from her table and gently wipe her mouth while softly calling her name. Grace is standing at the foot of her bed and I dare not look at her because I already know she is silently crying. If I see her tears it will be my undoing.    

          “Jamey, you are safe. You are going to be alright. We have been praying for you and God has answered our prayers. Do not worry about anything. Just rest and focus on recovery.”

          Jamey’s eyes are swollen too badly to see us but I am sure she can hear me. I stand there being tried in my greatest challenge – seeing such a broken face. Oh how could anyone do this to another human being? How? Jamey slightly squeezes my fingers I have placed in her badly swollen hand. It is a light movement that increases as I continue to encourage her. I raise her hand to my mouth and kiss the back of her hand and tears begin to run down her cheek. Grace collapses in a chair in the corner bending and putting her face in her arms in her lap. Her shoulders are shaking but her sobs are quiet. 

          The nurse comes in and quietly tells me Jamey must rest now and I have someone in the hall waiting to see me. I ask the nurse if Grace can stay a few minutes until she recovers her composure she agrees and I step into the hall to see who wants to speak to me.

In the hall I see and immediately recognize Amber Nelson. Many years ago she had lived next door to my parents. My husband and I had been friends with her and her husband. Grace had played with her children. Now she is standing here in a skirt and shirt with a clerical collar. My heart is heavy but I am delighted to see Amber who informs me she is a Chaplin here at the hospital. I remember Amber’s heart for people and know she is in the right job to use her enormous capacity to love. 

“Do you know Miss Mays?” Amber asks after we have warmly greeted each other.

I tell her we do and let her know Grace is the woman in the room with her now.

“I know the work you do and I know how this patient got here so I will pray for all of you. This is a nasty beating but I believe she is going to make a physical recovery. Her emotional recovery will probably be the challenge. I have to see another patient but stop by the chapel so I can pray for you and see Gracie.” 

                                                            ****

So much has been going on. I feel like I am meeting myself coming and going. Yesterday Grace and I had visited Jamey in the intensive care unit.  Ms Moody’s funeral is today followed by my hair appointment. My heart is not as heavy because we have found Jamey and though she has a long recovery ahead of her, we know she is going to be okay.

Today we will be able to begin our healing process in the loss of Ms Moody. A heart attack would hurt but now it has been confirmed that Ms Moody was murdered and we have no clues. Who would want to hurt Ms Moody?

I am in my best black suit and cute but sensible shoes. My krinkley hair is pulled back the product of weeks of braiding and I have on a medium brim hat to cover the mess. I emailed the board members about the service and have heard from almost all the board with half responding they will be attending. Jeffery has not responded so that is that.

I sit on the lot of the old shelter. I have not been here since we moved files and items not fire or water damaged from the front rooms on the first floor. We were not allowed to stay long and when I pulled away I was grateful for the lives that were spared but I had released the hurt from the fire and left determined to embrace the new shelter and opportunities.

So why am I sitting here with all these scattered thoughts when I should be headed to the service. Maybe if I sit here and stare at this building long enough I will find all this is a dream. Maybe if I drive by Ms Moody’s house she will be there frying fish and I can sit in her kitchen for an hour then go back to work.

Finally my cell phone rings. “Mommy why did I pass you sitting on the old shelter lot ten minutes ago. You were only two blocks away. Where are you?”

“I am coming now. See you in a minute.” Mommy. My child needs me. After visiting Jamey yesterday she now needs help to get through today. That is what is wrong with me. I need someone to help me get through today. Gracie and I will lean on each other. I start my car and pull into the busy Natural Bridge traffic and head to the mortuary.