Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Ms Moody had wanted to be cremated. Five minutes later I have arrived at the mortuary less than two blocks away. Grace is standing outside the entrance door. We hug and hold on for an extra minute because no matter how pretty the mortuary our Ms. Moody is lying inside in ashes. She is probably in a beautiful container but this container can never hold all that she was to so many people. The large chapel is filled. I see family members but I also see board members, current and former staff, interns and residents from A Sister’s Place.

The memorial service is over in an hour. There will not be a viewing or trip to the cemetery. I sit looking at the tri-fold brochure created for this service. The picture is of a younger Ada Moody with long black hair in a page boy. Everyone in this room knew this smile if we did not know her when her hair was this long or dark. This is the Ms Moody I want to hold on to because her lying on that hall floor is still too much to bear.

 The very nice service ends and I go to speak to her few remaining family members. Soon I have greeted the family members and everyone from our program.

“What are you going to do now,” June asks when I come out the door headed to my car.

“I took a vacation day so I am going to find something to do until my hair appointment in about two hours,”

“Good,” she smiles with red eyes. “Lets go and get our nails done at a place I know not far from here. Lets get the works. Manicure, pedicure and brow wax and it is my treat.”

“What a wonderful idea. I will follow you.”  

I am barefoot wearing a bright African print caftan of black, red and gold. It is a favorite garment purchased when Harold took me to Nigeria for our tenth anniversary.

          Today is a good time to enjoy being single.  No small kids and a good age to begin again. Heading to the kitchen to make a cup of tea and egg salad, Oso is stepping so close behind me if I make a sudden stop he will have to run up my back. Free to lounge around for the morning I read the St. Louis American paper while sipping a green and black tea blend and eating egg salad on Keebler whole grain crackers.

          Tonight is the Matthews Dickey banquet. I am sure Jeffery has gotten a good table near the stage and among the major corporate sponsors. I noted in the paper Jeffery Evans and Associates is a silver level sponsor. It will be a good night to network and get a jump start on next year’s fund raising.

          Thursday I went to the hospital to visit Jamey. Then the twins, across the street, came over and took my braids out. I came home from work and we went into my office where I worked on a grant while they worked on removing my braids. I put on an old school CD by Johnny Hartman which I am sure bored the girls. Next I played Beyonce which I knew the girls would enjoy.

          Friday was Ms Moody’s memorial service followed by a manicure and pedicure with June. We were able to talk on a more relaxed level and I came home feeling better after days of tension. Neither of us mentioned Jeffery and I did not feel comfortable having that discussion with someone who was in essence my boss. From the nail salon I went to the hair salon.

          I refuse to stay home and miss what will probably be a nice evening   while trying to avoid Jeffery.  He gave me four tickets for tonight so June, Grace and Rita are going with me. Tonight will be like a hospital response call. I will be warm and caring without revealing my hurt and sometimes dismay at seeing their hurt and injuries. I am using one of the tools of recovery which is refusing to be in denial. Truth: I had started to have feelings for Jeffery again but he is a handsome single man free to date whom he chooses. Fact: Jeffery may very well attend tonight’s event with the lady who feels comfortable answering his resident telephone so I must be on my most professional behavior. Fact: My bed feels extra cold. Truth: tonight I will look great and begin to network on a professional and personal level. It is time to start giving dating a chance.                                               

Speaking about looking my best, I went to my stylist with overly crinkled hair the result of my braids. I came home with beautiful bouncy curls from a new sew in style I really like. I took a black satin dress with a matching coat I have never worn from my closet yesterday. The back is cut to midway my back. The front has geometric cutouts across the top outlined with silver threads and cut glass. My hip feels great so I am wearing black satin peep toe pumps with glass heels and a clear clutch with silver handles.