Chapter 1

Newt.

It wasn't my name, I'm sure of it. But somehow it was the first thought that came to mind while waking up in The Box.

It seemed ironic how I could remember someone else's name while I couldn't remember mine. Let alone any other memory. Not being able to remember anything while riding The Box was frustrating as hell.

It smelled rusty, since most of the things around here was metal. Gears creaked and grumbled as it lifted me up, towards the Glade.

It surprised me how I know where I was going to be taken. And since I knew where I was going to, I quietly sat down in a corner and waited for The Box to stop moving.

Newt. He's in danger.

That kept on lingering in my mind. I felt like I haven't met him yet, but I also think that I know him well enough for me to remember his name first, more than anything else.

As I ascend towards the Glade, the thought of Newt in danger made me nervous, the feeling becoming worse as I get closer to the Glade.

A few moments later, I feel The Box shaking, and then it stopped.

I could hear the sirens going off from the other side of The Box, the heavy footsteps of people running.

I looked up and squinted as bright light met my eyes. Two boys were on either side of the box, they were probably the ones who opened The Box.

One who had funny looking eyebrows named Gally. And the other whose name I didn't know.

Newt.

He crossed my mind once again. Well, he never really left, anyways.

A group of teenage boys stare down at me, probably shocked why I was sent to them.

I searched the crowd for Newt, but he was nowhere to be found. This only confirmed my assumption, that he was indeed in danger.

A boy with black hair jumped in the box with me.

"Hi, I'm-"

"Thomas." I finished for him.

His eyes widen.

"Newt. Where is he?" I say in a panicked manner, not giving Thomas a chance to react.

But Thomas is stubborn, so he decides to waste time by asking a question. "How do you know me? And Newt?"

I roll my eyes, "I just do, Thomas! Now where is Newt? We're running out of time!" I desperately exclaim.

Thomas looked like he didn't believe what I just said, nor did all the other boys standing around The Box.

"Ughh!" I yell out, frustrated. I turn to look at Thomas and bitterly spat, "If something happens to Newt, I swear..." I trail off and shook my head in dismay.

I reach my hand out, into the group of teenage boys watching the quarrel between Thomas and I, silently saying to lift me out of the box.

One of them grabbed my hand and pulled me up. I just gave him a grateful nod and looked back at Thomas who was left still standing in the box, looking at me as if I was a crazy woman.

Well, in a way I was.

The other boys looked at me in wonder. I wanted to ask a lot of questions, but Newt was my top priority right now.

I broke into a full on sprint towards the doors of the Maze, hoping that no one would catch me.

But of course that was impossible. Right now, I had a group of teenagers at my tail, ready to catch me any minute now.