Chapter 7

Newt nodded at the two Keepers guarding Seth, both silently going out of the room.

"Speak up, shank. Time's runnin"

"It wasn't me. Something was controlling me.." Seth paused, his eyes twitching in a weird way.

My hold on Newt's arm tightened. He glanced at me and brought his hand on top of mine, giving it a reassuring squeeze before focusing on Seth who seemed to be having a seizure of some kind.

He was shaking badly, but I could see that he was trying to control it. "It wasn't me, I swear. You knew it wasn't me, I can't do that to you."

"It was them! The Creators! They di-" His speech was cut short and was continued with an awful wail. He fell on his knees, his head clutched in his hands.

"NO! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!! GET OUT!!!!" His voice rose with every word that came out from his lips. He convulsed violently on the ground, Newt and I stare at him in shock.

Newt called for the Keepers to come and get him, all the while standing in between Seth and I.

"Place that bloody slinthead inside the Slammer, now!"

They obliged and had to practically drag Seth out of the Council Hall.

Once he was out of the room, I didn't feel relieved at all. If anything, I only felt even more bothered.

My knees buckled from underneath me and I could feel myself slowly sinking down to the floor, but Newt quickly encircled his arms around my waist and brought me to a standing position.

My arms automatically wrap around his neck for support.

For a while, we kept our arms around each other, not really wanting to let go.

Newt and I stayed like that for a couple more seconds before he surprised me and held me closer against his chest, a contented sigh leaving his lips.

Realization hits me like a train, and I push him away, throwing him an apologetic look before hastily leaving the room.

***

Alby gave me the day off, which was too unfortunate for me. I preferred working to distract myself from everything that had just happened, rather than sitting alone up in a tree with Chuck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid. But having nothing to do was extremely boring, plus it only makes my mind wander off to what had happened last night and that little scene Newt and I shared.

"Hey Greenie!" Chuck suddenly climbs up the tree, sandwiches balanced in both hands.

I smiled and got the food from him, unwrapping one sandwich and taking a huge bite.

"Frypan wasn't too happy that I barged in his kitchen to get some food but oh well, I have my ways." He shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

I was only halfway through my sandwich when I heard commotion from downstairs, the boys of the Glade all gathered around the East Door.

"What's happening down there?" I asked Chuck who was now also looking at the growing commotion.

I didn't wait for Chuck to answer as I went down the tree and jogged towards where the boys were gathered at.

Most of them circled the East Door, making it difficult for me to see what it was all about. But I stood on my tippy toes to see better.

And what I saw was nothing good. It was Seth being banished.

"Seth of the Track-hoes, you've been sentenced to Banishment for the attempted murder of the Greenie. The Keepers have spoken, and their word ain't changing. And you ain't coming back. Ever." Alby paused for effect, "Keepers, take your place on the Banishment Pole."