Morgan Rielly - Part Nine

Nick apologizes that afternoon.

After I got home from my run and showered, he texted me asking if he could call. I hadn't accepted his apology yet, still licking my wound from his behavior the last couple days. And I made sure he knew that.

I had laid the guilt on heavy. Lamenting that I was alone in a big city with quite literally no one. Having Nick not talk to me had been the cherry on top of a shit sundae.

So, I wasn't surprised when my apartment was buzzed and when I went downstairs, an overflowing bouquet of pink and white roses had been waiting for me.

Now, as I walk back down the hallway to my apartment door, I'm surprised at the guilt I feel in my stomach as Morgan's door comes into view. I had hung the scarf right beside the front door, of course after I recovered from the embarrassment of last night's conversation and after my heart had calmed down.

I hurry into my apartment, not wanting anyone to see the flowers and so that the sudden uneasiness that had overcome me might disappear. I move into my kitchen to place the flowers on the counter but hesitate. Against what I had thought in the elevator ride up, a happiness in my chest at the sight of the flowers and who they had come from, now I look at the flowers and I'm reminded of all the conversations I had with Nick the last few days.

Flowers don't make that go away.

I bring the vase back up from where I had been hovering it over the counter and walk into the side office that I hadn't yet used, preferring the large dining room table instead, and set them on the corner of one of the desks and then close the door behind me.

-

Are you home?

The message startles me from my intense focus on my television screen, five episodes deep in a show I had just found on Netflix.

I'm even more confused when I see the sender.

Depends on what you want...

I send back, another uneasy feeling in my stomach as I watch the blue bar beneath Morgan's name fill up as my message sends.

That doesn't sound very friendly. I thought we were nice neighbors?

I'm only nice when there's food involved.

What kind of food?

What kind of food do you have?

Healthy?

I'm busy.

I turn my screen off and toss it onto the couch beside me. I have no interest in any sort of food that would be 'good for me' right now, I'm too emotional.

The phone vibrates with an incoming message but I ignore it, trying to get back in the zone of my binge watching.

It vibrates again.

And again.

And then it rings.

I stare at in incredulously as 'Morgan Rielly' flashes across as the caller ID.

"Why are you so needy?" I ask as I answer the phone.

"I am not needy! I'm trying to feed you because you haven't come out of your cave all day!" Morgan's exasperated voice responds.