Part Nineteen

"Can you please talk to me?" I blurt out.

The five of us had just stepped outside the café into the cool fall air of Pittsburgh and Morgan has yet to say a single word not only to me, but to anyone else.

Morgan widens his eyes at my outburst and glances at Mas, Jake and Naz who all quickly look away, suddenly interested in the sky, ground or their drink. He takes my elbow and pulls me ahead of the group while try to pretend my blood isn't singing at his touch.

"I just hate talking in front of them, no matter what I say to you they always give me shit later," he says, giving me a quick grin that I know isn't genuine. He's just trying to make an excuse.

"You'd be a horrible actor, Mo," I say taking a sip of my Frappuccino.

"That's not very nice, I would never tell you you'd be a bad actor."

"You wouldn't tell me that because wouldn't lie to me," I quirk and eyebrow up at him and for the first time since he stepped foot on the plane last night, I see his face relax just a bit.

We walk in a slightly more comfortable silence for a while. I wonder if Morgan has a destination in mind considering the hotel was in the opposite direction. But every time I glance over my shoulder the boys are still following us, so they must be heading somewhere specific.

"Morgan," I start and he looks in the opposite direction. "It's honestly killing me, please talk to me. What did I do to upset you?" I ask, my voice cracking as he continues to stare anywhere but at me.

I give him a few more moments of silence, and when I'm about to open my mouth to nag him again he takes a deep breath.

"It's just hard, Y/N."

He says it so quietly that I'm not even sure he meant to say it out loud.

"What's hard?" I whisper back, conscious of the boys behind us.

"Being here."

"In Pittsburgh? Or with me?"

"Both."

My stomach plummets and I swallow hard in my throat.

"Can you elaborate a little bit?" I ask.

Morgan sighs and leads the way around another turn and I can see their destination now; Engine House 25.

"It's just... it's really none of my business," he takes another deep breath and shoots me a nervous glance. "I don't like your boyfriend."

Surprise and confusion are all I feel as I stare at Morgan dumbfounded.

"What? You have never even met him." I snap, suddenly feeling defensive.

"You're right, I have not met him. But I have heard you talk about him, and I've seen the way your face kinda falls when you pick up your phone and there's a message from him or when he calls you. You look like you just want to hit the ignore button every single time. I've seen the way your eyes are red from a night of crying. And I know when he's said something that's bothered you because when I come over in the morning you have circles under your eyes and you just look exhausted." Morgan says it all so fast that I don't even realize we've stopped walking, the others sneaking past us as quickly as possible and ducking into the Engine House.