Part 26

Morgan POV

When I wake up in the morning she isn't beside me. Disappointment floods my chest even as I reach out for the pillow that had laid below her head last night. I press my face into the soft fabric and breathe in, just like I do with the scarves I gave her when she asks me to take them home for a night.

The amount of self-control I had gone through last night was exhausting. I hadn't slept that soundly in weeks, not since I fell asleep on Y/N's couch and had attacked her in my coma-like sleep. Memories of her long legs in those mind-blowing heels haunt my mind. The feel of her satin soft legs beneath my fingers and the smell of her skin when I had kissed her sends shock waves through my body just remembering.

I wasn't going to be able to keep up the 'friend' regulations much longer, and I think she realized that after last night.

Maybe that's why she isn't here. You scared her off.

The thought comes unwelcome in my still half-awake state. Had I scared her off? She hadn't seemed unwilling last night, in fact I think it was just the opposite. She was just as eager as I was.

My thoughts are interrupted when the door to her bathroom opens and out she walks with the steam of what must have been a very warm shower. She's dressed for the day in her usual game day attire; dress that falls to her knees (today it's gray), and across her collar bone rests a large ornament necklace that brings out the color of her eyes, even from where I'm lying.

"Oh, you're awake," she says, and to my relief a shy smile is hidden as she quickly uses her hair as a barrier.

"You weren't here," I say hoarsely and I want to hit myself. I laid in bed with her all night and right off the bat the next morning I sound so needy? Idiot.

"I know, I'm sorry. I had to get ready to go to work. You might not have to go until later for your game, but I have to go get everything ready," she says as she walks closer and I want nothing more than a good morning kiss.

I glance at the clock on her nightstand and see 7:06 glaring back at me. Groaning, I turn my face back into her pillow.

Y/N giggles and continues talking. "Looks like we won't be carpooling together today, so I'll see you at the rink, okay?" I want to disagree and pull her back down into bed with me but I know she's already waited for me to wake up to leave. Her gentle hand on my shoulder shocks my eyes open as the tingles in every nerve come to life.

She presses down softly and I roll automatically to stare up at her. Her hair is still damp from her shower and I can smell her shampoo already, coconut and vanilla. The damp tendrils tickle my chin and chest as she leans down and kisses my cheek. Again, it takes every ounce of my being to not turn my head just slightly and meet those soft lips with my own. But she's gone before I can do much of anything, grabbing herself a pair of shoes and she's out the bedroom door before I can even call out a good bye.

Regular POV

"So I heard somebody went home with somebody last night," Mason quips from my doorway and I throw an annoyed look at him.

Yesterday had been so much fun and so fast that I hadn't had a chance to check my emails or review any pending articles. So I'd holed myself up in my office for the last hour with my phone turned off in my desk drawer and my Spotify playlist blaring through my speakers.