Part Sixteen

I pack for Pittsburgh when I get home. We have a stop in Buffalo first, but I'm more caught up in the city after that. The girls are spending time with their boyfriends before the road trip, one of the first longer ones of the season so I didn't try to reach out to any of them.

I'm a little unsure at first what to pack for the road trip. I add up the days and came to the conclusion that I simply could not bring a new outfit for every single day. Instead, I spend over an hour picking pieces from my closet that I can mix and match with other items. It's a lot more stressful than I initially thought it would. Thankfully, we are staying on the same coast for all the games and I don't have to plan for both warm and cold weather. Though I would prefer to dress for the warm.

By the time I finish I'm exhausted and starving. I hadn't gone grocery shopping for a while because I knew the road trip was coming up so I thumb through my favorite take out restaurants and settle on Thai. Unfortunately, I miss the delivery service by three minutes and I have to go pick it up myself.

I eye my bag waiting at the door to be brought downstairs in the morning and wonder if I should just bring it down now. Usually Morgan and I carpool either to the arena or the airport to leave for road trips but I never assume we are going together. Deciding it's too heavy and I'm too hungry, I leave it and hope that Morgan offers to carry it downstairs tomorrow.

I'm almost to my vehicle when I notice that Morgan's car is still gone which strikes me as strange but I ignore it and head out to get my food.

When I return, his car is in its regular place as it should be. But then I also notice a girl standing next to an unfamiliar car parked on Morgan's other side and only then do I realize Morgan is still in his car. I freeze in my seat and heat prickles up my neck, mortified that I just had to pull into the garage at this exact moment. Hurt floods my body and I feel the pain of a dull ache that has no point of origin.

I consider staying in my car until they go inside, but the girl is staring hard at me and I know I have no choice. By the time I get myself and my food out, Morgan is also closing his car door and my stomach drops when I see his arm go around the girl.

There's only one elevator.

The thought strikes me and there is way that I want the horrifying position of being in an elevator with the two of them and then awkwardly being across the hall from them.

Maybe I'm just overreacting. Maybe she's his friend, like I'm his friend. He hasn't mentioned a girl in the weeks that I've known his, a part from the pixie girl, this is the first girl I've ever even seen Morgan with. But still, a bucket of ice water pours down on me and my stomach aches. Just the smell of my Thai food makes me nearly convulse.

I should not be this upset. I shouldn't even be upset at all, I have a boyfriend!

I avoid Morgan's stare, not that he's trying to catch my eye to begin with and keep my head low as I scramble towards the elevator. Morgan, apparently out of time stalling, footsteps echo with the girls behind me and I think for an escape route. The stairs are not an option, I am way too lazy for even one flight to stall for time.

I'm twenty feet from the elevator and my heart is pounding and aching at the same time.

Fifteen feet.

Ten.

"Oh, shoot," I mutter, loud enough for the two behind me to hear and I pretend to look through my purse for something. My footsteps falter and I'm surprised when another set do as well. The girl breezes past me, I can still feel her gaze boring holes in my body but Morgan hesitates for a just a second. I look at him in surprise and he looks at me with equal surprise.