Part Twenty-Four

I spend more time in a dressing room than I ever have before today.

"Lex, its winter. Why am I trying this thing on?" I ask, my voice echoing in the sparsely decorated room.

"Let me see!" She demands from the other side of the door and I throw one last look at myself in the mirror. The deep purple dress that I somehow shimmied myself into looks back at me. With a tight waist, well tight everything, and a long narrow opening just below my breasts that shows a sliver of my skin and ending right above my knees, I adore it.

I swing open the door and Lexi takes a full five seconds to give me an extremely thorough look over that makes my cheeks heat.

"Baby, you look hella fine," she says appreciatively and I cross my arms over the plunging neckline.

"Lexi!" I complain and she snickers.

"You're wearing that tonight, you can put the others back. Don't even try them on," she says waving her hands in the direction of my body. "Because none of them are going to be like this. Syd is gonna be so happy she picked this for you."

"What am I going to be happy about?" Sydney asks rounding the corner of the dressing room and her eyes roam over me much like Lex's had. "Girl!"

A giggle escapes my mouth before I can stop it, but I just can't help it. I step before the trifecta of mirrors just to the left of my room and turn every way to get a full view of myself. The girls are right, I look fine as hell.

"I still need shoes," I say and as if Syd had been waiting for her cue, she produces a pair. "Thanks..." I blink at her and she laughs.

"Always prepared, Y/N," she says and disappears into the same dressing room I had just vacated with her own arms full of clothes.

I settle myself down on one of the plush stools and start strapping the overkill shoes on. I'm all for sexy, strappy shoes but I would have never picked these things out for myself. They wrap halfway up my calves and the silver catches the overhead fluorescents with a flicker that reminds me of reflecting water. Before I even step before the mirror again I know they go perfectly.

"Where are we even going that I would need to wear something like this?" I ask Lexi who already has her shopping down and is scrolling through her phone.

"You'll see," she says without looking up but I can see the slight smirk on her lips.

An hour later at lunch, I'm shoving fries in my mouth while Lexi and Sydney each do the same across the table from me.

"So Y/N," Lexi drawls and my stomach flips in my stomach at her tone.

"What?" I ask warily while she exchanges a look with Syd. "What's going on in that twisted head of yours?"

Lexi smiles down at her plate before flashing me a devilish grin. "We've been hearing a few... mutterings if you will, about you and a certain defenseman."

I quickly busy myself in my chicken tenders and Lexi and Sydney erupt into giggles.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I wave a hand at them, trying to hide the fact that my heart is in my throat and my brain has gone fuzzy.

"You might be a good liar but we heard from our respective boyfriends at different times that there's a lovesick puppy following your every step," Sydney teases and I flush.