Act 002: Escape From The Dead

﹂✧﹁

"...government has started to do something about this ongoing revolt. However, politicians are doubting the SDF's ability to..." Saeko changed the channel and the report was cut short, only to be replaced by another reporter on a different channel,

"The number of deaths in the Saitima Prefecture has already exceeded ten thousand. The prefectural governor has declared a state of emergency--" Gunshots in the background cut this reporter's words short. The camera panned quickly to the left, where I could only assume the gunshots had come from. The reporter gasped as it did before speaking, "That was gunfire! The police just opened fire! But what are they shooting at?!" She exclaimed, before the camera panned further left and zoomed in on some stretchers. The bodies on the stretchers rose up and I had no doubt that they'd been lifeless not five seconds ago.

Two shots rang out and the bodies fell back onto the stretchers limply.

There was some more commotion and I could only watch in horror as one of the dead lumbered toward the camera.

"No! Stay away!" The reporter screamed before there was an all too familiar crunch and a thud.

The camera was dropped and the last thing seen was the unmistakable gaithe of a corspe as it stumbled toward the camera. The feed was cut and they were quick to switch over to broadcasting from the studio where a visibly shaken reporter sat, listening to something from her headset. When she realised she was on air, her expression cleared up and she tried to be professional about it, "There's been some sort of problem. F-from now on, we'll be broadcasting from the studio here. As you can tell, the situation outside has become grave. We advise you to please stay in your homes unless necessary. Once it's safer outside, we'll bring you more information on the ongoing situation."

The feed ended and we were all silent for a moment. We were in the faculty room taking a breather. We'd already gotten the keys to the school's tour bus and were now searching through the office for useful things.

"That's all?!" Takashi growled, slamming his hands onto the desk and causing Shizuka to yelp in surprise. He ignored her yelp and continued speaking, "Why aren't they saying more?!"

"Because they're afraid of causing a panic," Saya answered from near the window.

"Even now?" Rei mumbled, sounding troubled.

"Because of just now! Fear leads to chaos and chaos leads to anarchy," Saya said, "How would you expect the government to deal with the living dead in a time of anarchy?"

Someone must have switched to another channel because yet another news report started over the television, gaining all of our attention.

"This unusual phenomenon has spread throughout America and has yet to be brought under control. The government authorities have evacuated the White House and will relocate to a command centre onboard an aircraft carrier. There are reports that this transfer is in preparation for the possible use of tactical warheads. We have currently lost contact with Moscow; Beijing has been set ablaze; London has maintained order, but in Paris and Rome, there are reports of looting. Government officials have declared--" The television erupted into static and someone was wise enough to switch it off and end the irritating sound.

"So they're all over the world...but how?" Rei mumbled, "This morning when I was surfing the web, it was business as usual...I can't believe that it only took a few hours for the world to come to this..."

"Well, believe it," I said dryly, irritated by the sound of her voice already.

She gave me a flat look and I smirked slightly trying to irritate her. At the back of my mind there was a nagging feeling that something was missing. I frowned at the feeling for a moment before it suddenly came to me.