Act 008: All Dead's Attack

﹂✧﹁

「Ryuu's POV」

An uncomfortable silence hung over the group at dinner. Takane, or rather, Aiko, didn't join us. In fact she hadn't left the room since Shizuka had all but carried her there and cleaned her up.

Shizuka played with the food on her plate for a while before standing suddenly and picking up a tray.

"I'll go take some food to Aiko," she said quietly, her usual cheery expression absent as she avoided everyone's eyes.

No one said anything in response and she just left.

"The...the food's good..." Kohta mumbled awkwardly to fill the silence.

Shin stood up abruptly, startling everyone.

"I'll go...settle Alice and Rin in for the night..." He mumbled, "Come on Hiro, you can help me."

Hiro nodded and stood hastily while the two normally energetic kids stood silently and left with them, Zeke trotting after Alice with his head hung low.

Saya was the next to make her escape. "I should go talk to my parents," she muttered, "Saeko, my father wanted to see you in his study again."

Kohta jumped up, "I'll go see if they need help with patrols," he said hurriedly, also exiting.

It was just Rei, Takashi and I now but no one made a move.

Takashi finally spoke. "I didn't know."

The way he said it, like it excused everything, made me see red. I slammed my fist onto the table and Rei yelped in surprise as the dishes clattered in response.

"Of course you didn't know!" I snarled, venom lacing each word as I glared at him harshly, "God, is that supposed to make this all okay?!"

"No!" He hurriedly said before swallowing, "I mean...I'm just saying. If I had known--"

"If you had known Takashi. If. Don't even finish that statement or I won't be held responsible for what I do next," I cut him off, clenching my fists tightly, "Had you done what you were supposed to do in the first place instead of trailing behind my sister like a lost puppy then there wouldn't be a need for an 'if'! She wouldn't be suffering like this right now!"

He only downed his head and I scoffed in disgust looking away before I ended up lunging over the table and finishing what I started in the yard.

Shidou had managed to escape but Takashi could take the beating for both of them with his thick skull.

Rei shifted uncomfortably in her seat before sending me a nervous glance.

"I...I get that what happened to Takane was bad but it wasn't really Takashi's fault..." She said meekly, twiddling her thumbs.

"Wasn't his fault?" I repeated, my tone low and deadly. "Were you even listening to what I just said, Rei, or has hanging around Takashi made you as dense as him?"

She flinched and pursed her lips, hurt flashing in her eyes.

"This isn't her fault, you don't need to talk to her like that!" Takashi exclaimed, glaring at me.

I glanced between the two of them, my expression one of incredulity. Were they serious?

When Takashi continued glaring at me and Rei sent him a grateful look, I realised they were. I also realised something else.