Act 007: Dead Memories

﹂✧﹁

"Hey Takashi, can we go to the park today?" I asked swinging my legs back and forth as I sat on the windowsill of our treehouse.

"Sure Ai, just let me finish fixing the music box for you," my new big brother said looking up and giving me a grin.

Then he saw where I was and his grin dropped, his eyes widening in horror.

"Aiko! Get down from there, you could fall!" He yelled, jumping up.

His voice startled me and I yelped, falling backwards as I accidentally let go of the sill.

"Takashi!" I screamed as I fell, blindly scrambling to grab onto anything my fingers brushed, tears of fright welling up in my eyes.

My fingers met air and I squeezed my eyes shut. All of a sudden I stopped falling, my arm jerking painfully.

My eyes snapped open and I stared up at Takashi's determined eyes as he leaned halfway through the window my hand gripped tightly in his.

"I've got you, Ai!" He exclaimed in a strained voice.

I reached up with my other hand and gripped tightly onto his hand like my life depended on it which it in fact did.

"Don't let go, please Shishi!" I cried with a small whimper.

"I won't Aiko, I promise," he said with a strained smile.

I smiled back at him calming down. Takashi never broke any promises he made to me, so I knew he would never let me go if that's what he promised.

I screamed when Takashi jerked forward as he lost his grip. He managed to grab onto the window sill but now we were both hanging out of the window.

"Takashi!" I screamed, "I'm scared!"

"Don't be," he said looking down at me, "You'll be fine, we both will, okay sis?"

I sniffed and nodded swallowing back my tears like I normally did.

His parents weren't home again so we couldn't call for them and the neighbors were out. My hands started slipping and I swallowed back a scream. Takashi tightened his grip on my hands and murmured, "Everything's going to be okay Ai...don't cry."

I nodded and closed my eyes and started counting to ten like Shizu always told me to do whenever I was afraid. She always knew what to say to make me feel better.

One...two...three...

My hands slipped further down Takashi's despite the strangle hold I had on it.

...Four...five...

My hands slipped again and I squeezed my eyes tighter together.

"Just hold on Ai, I'll get us down..." Takashi murmured down to me.

I nodded and continued counting.

...six...seven...eight...nine...

"Hey!"

I looked down to see a black-haired boy who looked about Takashi's age standing beneath us with a brown-haired girl behind him who also looked Takashi's age.

"Quick! Climb into the treehouse and pull us up!" Takashi snapped at the boy.

"I won't make it in time. Let go of her and I'll catch her!" The boy yelled up to us.

"Takashi!" I gasped looking up at him as tears filled my eyes, never falling. Takashi looked down at me before looking back at the boy and shaking his head. "I can't let go of her. I promised I wouldn't."