Act 003: Conflict Of The Dead

﹂✧﹁

I couldn't tell how long I'd been asleep for but when I finally woke up, we were on one of the more elevated roads and some of the other survivors were making a racket.

"What's going on?" I asked Shizuka sleepily, sitting up and rubbing my eyes.

"I don't know but it's driving me crazy!" She exclaimed sounding really stressed out.

I frowned and looked back to see one of the survivors in Takashi's face, yelling angrily.

Standing up, I walked into the fray. "What's going on here?" I questioned simply.

The boy who'd been in Takashi's face, an asshole named Tsunoda, turned to me and sneered, "Oh look, Komuro can't fight his own battles so he needs his bratty little sister to fight them for him," he mocked, stepping up to me, "So what are you gonna do, bitch?"

I think Shizuka probably realised blood would be shed if someone didn't stop me because the very moment I decided I would break his jaw, she slammed on her brakes rashly.

"I have had it! I can't drive with all of you yelling at the back there!" She yelled, sounding frustrated.

Shidou stepped up and I stiffened, backing down and stepping back slightly.

"This is why we need a leader," he said with dramatic flare, "so such conflict does not arise!"

"And who do you suggest for this Leader position?" Saya asked though I had a sneaking suspicion that everyone knew exactly where he was going with this.

"Well isn't it obvious? I'm the teacher and the rest of you are students so it's obvious that I should be the leader!" He said smugly, "Why, if I were your leader, conflict would never come about!"

I cringed at how cheesy and dramatic he was being and noticed that none of my group were particularly impressed either. The other group of survivors however, were clapping and cheering raucously for him and for a moment I wondered if maybe they lacked brain cells and the capacity for sensible thought.

"Well then, I think it's been decided," he said grandly, "I'm leader due to the majority of votes." His expression was so smug that it made me cringe further. There was no way I could let him be the leader of this group.

"Hold on just a minute," I spoke up, "Shin isn't a student, so why can't he be the leader?"

Shidou narrowed his eyes at me and smile thinly, "Mister Yamada is my junior and has yet to acquire the skills needed to lead such a diverse group of students effectively," he said kindly but I knew better.

"But how do you know that when you aren't even giving him a chance?" Saeko questioned, raising an eyebrow.
Shidou looked like he was getting agitated, "It still doesn't change the fact that I've already gotten the majority of the votes, making me your leader whether any of you like it or not."

"You can't just decide that on your own!" I snapped, my own agitation growing at the thought of being led by someone like him.

He smiled at me and it made my skin crawl, "Ah, but I didn't decide anything, Takane," he said simply, "They did." He spread his arms indicating the students behind him, all glaring at the rest of us defiantly.

Shidou stepped forward slowly, "Besides, I don't see why you're so upset about this - you and I get along perfectly fine," he dragged his words out deliberately and I couldn't help but flinch and step back.