Chapter Fourteen - Coming of age -

Seeing him look so vulnerable weakened me emotionally. Without a second thought, I stood up and embraced him in a hug. He was seated, resulting in me cradling his head to my stomach, like a mother clutching her baby to her womb. It was a natural instinct for me to comfort him. He was hurting in someone way even though he wasn't showing it. He wrapped his muscular arms around my slim waist, accepting my form of affection. 

"You're going to be great." I repeated minutes later, as I ran my fingers through his hair. He chuckled, making me smile.

"Oh yeah? How would you know that?" 

"Because I know." I said as I kissed the top of his forehead. "Now lets finish eating. Dishes are not going to get done themselves." Angelo groaned. 

~

Maya kept jumping around the living room. I gave Rain a suspicious look. "Are you sure you didn't give her any candy?" Rain just came to drop off Maya. She volunteered to take care of her while I was on my 'date'. Angelo was trying to control Maya, but failing terribly. 

"Angeloooo! Look!" She yelled as she stood on top of the couch. My breath hitched. I ran to her and grabbed her, before she could even think about jumping off. "Aw! Come on, Juju! You no fun!" She wined as she wiggled in my arms. I looked at the time and saw that it was almost 9pm.

"I want you upstairs, getting ready for your shower." I told her as I placed her feet on the ground. I knew she was going to argue with me so I narrowed my eyes at her. "Now, Maya. No if's, and's or but's." I said sternly. I didn't like being so stern on her but if I didn't discipline her now, imagine her attitude in six to seven years?  She saw me as a friend, a sister. But I didn't. She is my daughter. She is a little human being that depended on me for every little thing. I wanted her to love and respect me as a mother, as I did the same. I wanted us to have the bond I wished I could have had with my mother. 

"Haha! You said butt!" She giggled as she ran up the staircase, to her room. I smiled as Rain and Angelo laughed. I walked up to Angelo and hugged him from the side. Oh, I could never get tired of this warmth. 

"How was she Rain? I hope she didn't cause too much trouble." I told her, smiling as Angelo snuggled into my neck, inhaling my scent.

"Ha! I have aged a few years while spending time with her." Rain joked. She saw the interaction between me and Angelo. Her light brown eyes shinning with curiosity.

"Shes very fond of you." I noted. 

Rain smiled. "And I am of her." She said truthfully. I'm glad Maya has adapted well to not only our new environment, but to our new friends. Angelo announced that it was time to go. When he leaned down to peck my lips goodnight, I turned the other way, smirking.

"Forgot about the competition already, Velazquez?"  

He narrowed his eyes, amusement clear in his dark eyes. "Oh, I was just testing you." He lied. Testing me my ass. 

~

It was Friday afternoon, and I was anxiously waiting for this damn bell to ring. My day consisted of gossip, rumors, stares and glares. It seemed like the whole school found out that I'm going out with Angelo. I wasn't receiving cliche glares from girls who desired Angelo. No. I was receiving glares from almost the whole werewolf population, which made up more that fifty percent of the whole school. Humans stared at me, chatting how I was the new girl and I already have a boyfriend. I didn't let any of that nonsense bother me. Next week was winter vacation, and I planned on spending time with Angelo, Rain and Maya.

Maya and I have been in and out of stores this whole week shopping for Christmas decorations and such. We also found the perfect gift to give Rain, since tomorrow is her birthday party.

The bell ringing was like heaven to my ears. Rain was biting her nails, nervously as she leaned against her locker. She was mindlessly staring out to the end of the hallway. I frowned. 

"Hey, you aright?" I asked her worriedly. She looked up at me, her eyes clouded. 

"Uh, no." She stopped biting her nails. "I'm just scared for tomorrow." For her party? All this week that was all she spoke about as she jumped around my living room, annoying the shit out of me. 

I raised an eyebrow. "Scared? Why?" 

"Because starting tomorrow, since I'm turning 18, I might find my mate. Its a high chance that I might have one since I come from a strong and powerful bloodline." She told me as my eyes widen. "What if he doesn't want me or doesn't find me attractive? What if-" I placed my finger on her lips. 

"Shhh. You're overreacting. You're gorgeous and your mate, where ever he is, will think the same. Stop worrying, you'll get wrinkles." I joked, trying to lighten the mood. She smiled. 

"Thanks, Jewels." Rain said, surprising me when she reached out and hugged me. I smiled as I returned the hug. I'm glad I finally have a friend. I'm not a very affectionate individual but recently I've been changing, losing bad habits. When I pulled away, I locked eyes with Lucas, who was standing at the other end of the hallway. Surprisingly he wasn't glaring. He actually gave me a small smile.

"Hey, bloodsucker!" Someone yelled from behind me. From the smell, I knew it was a werewolf. I turned to see a beautiful brunette. "Stay the fuck away from my brother!" She said yelled, before unexpectedly throwing a punch to my face. 

"Miranda!"