Chapter Twenty Eight - Momma and Maya time -

The sound of class breaking was like an everlasting broken melody. I licked my chapped lips, feeling ready, even though fear was creeping its way up from the darkest pit in my stomach. I gripped the iron pipe in my small, weak hands. 

There is no going back.

I really hoped the rohypnol I spiked in Michael's drink was strong enough to do its effect. If this goes as planed, I'm going to need to thank Emilio, one of Michael's friends, another million times. 

"Jeeewels" He slurred, his foot steps sounding like thunder getting louder and louder. I gulped. 

Just knock him out, Jewels. You can do this. 

"Ohhh, plaaaayen hide annnd seeeeeek, I see!" He yelled, his tone playful. I heard him come right around the corner. In less than ten seconds, he was going to stroll through the arches of the living room. Feeling a wave of dizziness, I learned against the wall, breathing hard. This bastard has kept me starving for the past week and a half. The ache in my empty stomach was starting to become unbearable.  It amazed me how I got into this position; going from total freedom for hundreds of years to being enslaved by a warlock. A spark of determination ignited in me. That bastard was going to pay. 

"Jew-" Right when I saw his mop of black hair, I slammed the iron pipe on his head with all the strength I could gather. 

Oh my.... I did it. I actually did it!

Looking at his cold, unconscious body, I grinned from ear to ear. I'm fucking free. I ran to the basement, using the pipe to smash the the lock on the freezer open. I drowned myself in blood bags. There were probably more than fifty blood bags in there, but when I was done, the freezer was a cold, empty box, a mirror to my soul.

I'm fucking free.

~

My breath hitched as I stared at my painting. Out of all things I could have painted, why did I paint him? His black hair and grey eyes will be forever branded into my skull, but why did I suddenly visualize my thoughts? I don't know what was worse, the fact that I drew him, or that I drew him hanging. 

The painting had Michael in the middle, his signature smirk kissing black lips. He was ghost pale, his grey eyes dull. Around his neck was a thick rope. He was hanging from a tree. The painting should have gave off the mood as dark and dismal but to me, it didn't feel or look that way. 

His eyes held mischief and amusement. In the painting, I made him hang himself, but even with death, hes still smirking, hes still happy in a disgusting way. But the most powerful aspect was his hands, his powerful bloody hands. They were chopped off. 

Looking at him made me angry. It brought back memories I didn't want to remember. Frustrated, I put down my palette and paint brush before wiping my painted hands on my apron. I focused on my hearing, to hear what Maya is doing.

"Shalalala, my oh my, looks like the boy's too shy, ain't gonna kiss the girl!" Maya sang. I rolled my eyes. Of course she is watching The Little Mermaid right now. That is not surprising. "Shalalala, ain't that sad, it's such a shame, too bad you're gonna miss the girl!" She continued. I can already picture her jumping on the leather couch. Cleaning up the painting room, I locked the door before leaving. It was almost four thirty. I should get started on making Maya dinner. "Go on and kiss the girl!" Oh, Maya. How am I not annoyed by you yet?

~

Maya was my stress reliever. Her smile and laugh made me forget all my troubles. The way she would call me 'momma' warmed my cold heart, making me feel whole. It was different from the way Angelo made me feel. And I seemed to love it. 

"Like this, momma?" I looked at Maya. She stood on a stool, wearing my cooking apron that basically touched the floor since shes so short. We were making chocolate chip cookies.  

"Stir it more, baby." I told her before preheating the oven. 

"But my arm hurts!" Maya whined as she put down the whisk. I sighed, telling her to get down from the stool. "But I wanna do something, momma." 

"You can wash the dishes?" A look of disgust reached her face, making me throw my head back, laughing. 

"EW!" 

"Ok, you can spread butter on the baking pan." She smiled before nodding. I handed her everything she needed. I began to stir the cookie mix in the bowl until it was creamy, like how the box suggested it should be. Before getting out the car, I could already sense Rain. I invited her over, earlier. I knew Maya was going to love the surprise. 

"Momma, where are you going?" 

"I'm going to get the door."

"But it didn't ring." 

Oh crap. "Uh, I saw a car through the kitchen window." I told her before quickly walking out the room. Shesh, I need to be more careful. 

~

Rain looked absolutely amazing in ripped blue jeans and a white leather jacket. How could Lucas not see the beauty in her? 

"Oh my.... you cut your hair!" I accused, pointing a finger at her. She frowned, but I saw the amusement in her dark eyes. 

"You don't like?" Her light brown hair were now at her shoulders. It was cut in a way that it was long at her shoulders and short at the back of her neck. It made her look more mature and attractive. 

"It looks great! You can really pull it off." I told her, gesturing her to come in. When walking into the kitchen, I expected Maya to jump up and down from happiness about Rain being here but instead, a small frown crawled its way up to her face. 

"Hi, Maya." Rain said, a little awkwardly, telling me that she also saw the frown and felt the mood shift. 

"What are you doing here?" She said, before narrowing her eyes. "You are ruining momma and Maya time." I smiled. 

Rain glared playfully. "Well, I guess little miss gloomy won't get the surprise I have for her in my car." At that, Maya's eyes lit up. She got off her little stool and ran to Rain, tripping over her apron. 

"No! I'm sorry!" She cried. Rain chuckled. "What is it!? What is it?!" She started to jump up and down. Now there was the reaction I was expecting. I leaned against the counter, watching them with a grin. 

"Now, I won't tell you until I get a cookie." Rain said before picking Maya up. Maya's hands immediately went to Rain's hairs, her eyes bright. 

"Nooo! Why you cut the hair? You are no longer Belle!" Maya accused, eye brows narrowed. Maya always compared Rain to the Disney Princess Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Rain and I laughed, before getting back to baking chocolate chip cookies. 

~

"I can't believe you got her that!" I exclaimed as I pointed to it.

"What? She wanted one very badly." Rain defended. 

"He is sooo cute! Look at him, Juju!" I glared at the fur ball that was growling. I don't know what made Rain think that getting Maya a puppy was a good idea. Yeah, it looked adorable I guess, but me and the living, well animals to say the least, do not get along. I have loads of evidence. "Ima call him, Pablo. Hi Pablo!" 'Pablo' was a small white Havanese pup. The tips of its fur was tinted brown. 

I groaned. "We are not keeping him. Rain, take it back.

"He is not an 'it'!"

"Whatever, I don't want him here." Maya's eyes began to water, making me feel a little guilty. 

"But... momma...."

"No, Maya. Having a pet is a huge responsibility. One I don't want to have. Rain can take him to her house and you can visit him." 

"Noooo! Pablo is st-"

"Pablo is going with Rain. Final." I told her sternly. I needed to show Maya that she can't always get what she wants. She is only seven years old, not capable of taking care of a pet, especially since I am not. 

Several seconds later, Maya snuggled Pablo in her arms. "Okay, momma." I looked at Rain, who was glaring at me. She gave me a look that said 'why you making the girl suffer?'

I whispered a 'later' to her. I don't exactly have good memories about the pets I've had over the years. My cell phone rang and I instantly knew who it was. I didn't know why exactly I was ignoring him, maybe it was because of the dark thoughts that consumed me when we were at the mall. Either way, I didn't want to pretend everything was going to be okay between us. Because in the end, I'm going to end up more mentally fucked up than what I was already. Maya took Pablo in her arms, saying something about feeding him, before running off to the kitchen. 

"Are you ignoring him, or are you playing hard to get?" Rain asked, kicking off her combat boots before plopping her feet on my glass coffee table. I leaned against the back of the couch, resting my head in my hand. 

"Ignoring him, I guess."

"Why? Like, I know my brother can be a bit annoying and-"

"No, its not that." I interrupted. 

"Then what?"

"Reality smacked me in the face." I licked my lips. "It doesn't happen frequently, but when it does, it hits me hard."