Last step (A Sans x Reader)

Your POV

"Mom? I brought something for you..."

A timid knock on the door bounced around the white walls surrounding you. You perked up slightly at the sound of visitors, since you haven't had any in a while.

It felt quite sad to be lonely and confined into this hospital room they put you in. The feeling of emptiness never actually consumed you, since you kept holding on even if you were completely weak.

Once in a while, your children visited you, which made you feel like you have something to hold onto until your death bed. You understood that they had their own families and busy schedules, but you felt a bit sad inside that they barely visit.

But you never even once complained.

Sans, though, was a complete different story.

He visited twice a day, never missing to surprise you with various goods and colorful flowers which reminded you that everyday was a new day.

He was your husband after all.

Turning to the door, and careful to not disturb the various wires hanging on your skin to keep you alive, you smiled. A weak "come in" slipped out of your mouth as excitement bubbled inside you.

There, the knob on the door twisted, followed by talking.

Your son and daughter stood there, wearing formal clothes.

(Son's name or S/n) stood there, a smile crossing his face as he stepped forward to you, an apologetic look on him. Probably from the fact he hasn't visited in a while now.

(Daughter's name or d/n) stood beside him, with the same expression, came sitting down on a stool beside your bedridden body. (S/n) sat on the opposite side, slipping his hand into your's.

You slightly felt blissful at that moment, your children sitting there.

But someone... Was missing.

Just then, the door opened, the person, (or monster I suppose) didn't care to knock.

You lifted your head up, and standing by the doorway was Sans, the Punny and lovable monster who won your heart over easily. An uneasy feeling crept on you as you see his expression.

He knew.

He knew that you were going to slip into an everlasting nap.

Today was when the doctor predicted it would happen.

Fearing that he'll be lost without you, you smiled at him, nodding for him to come over.

Sans drew near, the broken expression in his face became clearer than ever.

(S/n) and (D/n)'s eyes weld up in tears, realization hitting them like a brick.

They regretted not spending time with you.

They regret that they only cared for work more than someone who held onto them for all these years, even when times became so hard.

They don't know how easily they just abandoned you.

But you never even complained on how they didn't say goodbye.

It was fine.

You..

Understood.

Sans was sitting next to you, pinpricks pleading for you...

To..

Please...

Reset.

You knew that it was along time you had one.

But you promised him.

No words were said that day, just pure sadness enveloping the room as Sans tried to lighten up the room.

Well...

It didn't work.

You looked over in front of you, hovering over your blanket covered chest were the words...

RESET.

It was in reach.

No one noticed but you and Sans.

Monsters drew near.

Asgore.

Mettaton.

Toriel.

Papyrus.

Alphys..

Undyne.

And every single monster you saved in the underground.

They cried when you told them it was going to be okay.

But...

Sans..?

He just looked at you.

Pleaded silently for you to press that button and forget that you were about to be gone forever.

It was so tempting.

You visualized your last run.

Pacifist.

But you stopped yourself from doing so.

..........

"I'm sorry Sans."