First Practice

The long, long week was so. . . Well, long! For me, at least. Matt met a new girl, so he's been hanging out with her every day and Nicole as cheerleading she has to go to, so their week has gone by fast. Mom and dad's has gone by fast because they've been eating out and playing golf with another couple they've known ever sense high school. I have been stuck home alone, for hours at a time, the entire week. Joy.

I slipped on some athletic shorts and a grey T-shirt with my Nike shoes, they're my favorite brand.

Anyways, I didn't want to be late, so I went ahead and started for the door, my phone in hand so I could call Matt for a ride.

When I got to the field, it looked like everyone was there. I counted twelve heads and then, my eyes landed on the blond guy from the try-outs. He wasn't looking at me. He was talking to one of the other guys on the team.

"Hey, girl!" Rikki jumped right in front of me, blocking my view of the blond boy.

"Hi, Rikki." I smiled. I thought she was jumping up and down.

"This is so cool! Thank gosh I won't be the only girl on the team!" She giggled.

"Yeah, that would bite." I said.

"I know, right?" She seemed a little more excited than needed. I looked up to find the blond boy smiling at me and I blushed.

"Okay, lets line up." The coach called. We all lined up and the coach made us run up and down the field. I did two laps before giving up and went to the back of the line. Just my luck, the blond boy was right in front of me. He turned and gave me a crooked smile.

"Hey, I'm Austin." He nodded.

"I'm Connie." I nodded back.

"I like that." He smiled bigger. Before I could even open my mouth to say something, the coach was bringing everyone to the other side of the field. I went to the back of the line and waited to run and get the ball thrown to me by the coaches son. When it was my turn, I did a slant and turned my head. The ball was right in my arms before I knew it, and I lost my balence, falling to the ground.

"Oh! Good job, Connie!" The coach said. I smiled as I stood and threw the ball back to the coaches son and I saw Rikki and Austin talking. Are they dating? Wiat, why do I care?

I went to the back of the line and, after an hour and a half of running and catching, I called Matt on my cell.

"Hello?" He picked up.

"Hey, Matt! Can you come pick me up from practice?" I asked.

"Sure, where is the field?"

"Uh, it's the middle school's football field."

"Okay, I'll be there in a minute."

"Okay." I hung up the phone.

"Hey, Connie." I jumped back when I heard Austin from behind me.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Good job at practice today." He said.

"Thanks." I said. And, before I could say anything else, Matt started honking his horn for me to hurry up. I waved to him and he glared at Austin.

"Your brother?" He asked.

"Yeah." I sighed.

"I can tell." We stood there, as silent as could be, until he spoke up again.

"See ya." He waved and walked off with one of the boys from the team. I jogged up the hill, not feeling the strength to run, and jumped the fence. I opened the passenger side of my brother's green Comaro, with black stripes, and buckled up.

"How was practice?" He asked, starting up the car.

"Good." I said.

"Who was that boy?" He demanded. I looked to him while he pulled out and started down the road.

"One of the kids on my team." I told him.

"And you like him." It wasn't a question.

"Ew, no!" I wasn't sure if that was a lie or not.

When we pulled into the drive way, I jumped into the shower to wash off all the dirt and gunk. Supper was the usual "how was practice?" thing and I answered with a "fine." that would carry on to another conversation. Then, I decided to turn in early. And, by early, I mean around nine. It didn't take long before sleep took over and my dreams were endless pictures of Austin.