Crystal Lake~Prologue

"I swear to god Jason! If you tip this damn boat I'm taking you with me!" Elodie laughed

"Ugh children! I don't want to have to jump in and save you guys! Again!" Archie rolled his eyes playfully

"Um??? I'm pretty sure I dragged your ass to shore!" Jason countered. Archie narrowed his eyes at the Blossom twin and Jason stuck his tongue out in response. Elodie reached out and pinched it.

"Ow! Elodie!" Jason whined as Archie threw his head back and laughed. Elodie secretly winked at Jason before shoving Archie into the water.

"Oh no you don't!" Archie laughed from the water, taking Elodie down with him. She screeched and they both fell in with a splash.

"Archibald Andrews!" Elodie yelled when she came up for air

"Elodie Nova!" Archie mimicked her. She splashed him with water.

"Jason Blossom!" Jason added from the boat. The two teenagers in the water raised their eyebrows at the boy. "What?! I was feeling left out!" He argued

"Come on in! The water's fine Jason" Elodie smiled as she swam over to the boat, Archie behind her.

He jumped in and they swam to the Crystal Lake.

The Crystal Lake was a place the three best friends had found ages ago, where the water was crystal clear (hence its name), and the plants and stones were multicolored, like lost jewels in the sea. The small pond was surrounded by cherry blossom trees and dewy grass and candles that the three had left there for lighting purposes when they came at night.

They all waded from the river into the small stream that lead them to the lake. Once the arrived, they all relaxed and looked up at the sky.

"I love you guys" Jason mumbled, smiling.

"I love you too Jason. And you Archie" Elodie replied

"Always the after-thought I see" Archie teased. Elodie and Jason laughed and she kicked him underwater, making him chuckle as well, "But I love you guys too"

And then they just sat. Peaceful. Content. For what would probably be the last time ever.

It's was 4 pm on July 3rd. Tomorrow, their worlds would come crashing down around them.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Elodie went early to the river that morning.

She always did on this day every year, to start new and fresh in the world and clear her head. Plus, last night she hadn't been able to fall asleep, an old but familiar anxiety keeping her up. It happened often, but usually she had Archie or Jason to talk to. This morning, however, they had both missed all her calls, so she went for the next best thing: the river and Crystal Lake.

The woods were in an interesting mix of brown and dead and green and alive as she walked through them. Her fingertips brushing the branches. She never noticed the little cuts she got on her fingertips anymore.

As she walked she heard a noise and faint voices, letting her know that she wasn't alone in the woods that morning. Carefully, slowly, and quietly, she made her way over to the clearing from which she heard the sound. In between the branches, she could see Ms Grundy, her music teacher. She frowned. What was she doing here so early?? Then Elodie noticed she wasn't alone, a boy, who looked to be much younger than her, leaned over to kiss her.

As he pulled away, smiling, Elodie that the boy was none other than one of her best friends: Archie Andrews.

She felt like screaming, and then like vomiting, as she stumbled backwards, crouching down when they turned towards the sound of her basically falling over. When they returned their gazes to each other, Elodie got up and ran.