Guilty

Elodie shivered as she made her way to the bleachers from the convertible, her dad walked the opposite way as her, saying hello to some old friends. She honestly wanted to go rather unnoticed, so she decided on approaching the sides of the one of the bleachers, making her way to the top row, and trying not to freeze her ass off.

However, she forgot that she wasn't the only one who enjoyed going unnoticed.

"Excuse me" She mumbled as she brushed past someone standing at the edge of a set of bleachers.

"Finish that English paper already?" Came a smug voice. Elodie slowly turned around to face Jughead.

"Please don't tell anyone I'm here" She sighed, "I don't want to be"

"Well my silence comes at a price" Jughead smirked. Elodie rolled her eyes, ignored him, and continued on her path up the the furthest row of bleachers.

Jughead was slightly taken aback, but only slightly. This was Elodie after all, the new and improved Elodie I-don't-give-a-fuck Nova. He simply followed her up and sat next to her as the cheer routine ended.

"Everyone, put your hands together for the Riverdale Bulldogs!" Came Coach's voice from the speakers.

Archie was the first to break through the poster, all smiles.

But something caught Elodie's eye. A certain red-headed cheerleader was sprinting away from the scene.

"Shit" Elodie mumbled as she stood abruptly and ran down the bleachers, stepping on and past people like they didn't exist. Jughead followed behind, a bit more carefully.

The whole school watched as the blonde ran out into the field, past the football team, past Josie and the pussy cats, past the coach, past the mayor, and after Cheryl Blossom. Veronica and Betty soon followed, only a few steps behind Jughead.

Of course, Elodie got there first, just as Cheryl collapsed on the bench in the girls bathroom. The redhead clung to Elodie like nothing else existed.

"Cheryl...hey, Cheryl. You're okay, you're alright. Shhhhh, hey... it's okay Cheryl, I've got you" Elodie comforted the girl as Veronica entered the bathroom.

"Cheryl, what's wrong?" Veronica frowned as she knelt down, face-to-face with the red-head.

'Her dead brother used to be the captain of the very football team that's only a few yards away, seemingly completely unfazed by his replacement! That's what's wrong!' Elodie wanted to yell, but she held her tongue.

"Jason..." Cheryl cried, "He's gone"

"I know. I know" Veronica sighed.

"No. You don't. You don't understand!" Cheryl cried

"Cheryl, I know you're upset, but this isn't Veronica's fault either. She's trying to be kind" Elodie said softly.

"No, that's not why" She calmed at Elodie's words, sniffling. Elodie frowned.

"Then what is it Cher?" Elodie wiped the girl's eyes. The redhead situated herself between the two.

"He was suppose to come back" She cried, "I'm alone" She leaned against Elodie's shoulder.

"You're not alone" Veronica placed a hand on Cheryl's shoulder.

As Cheryl sat up and hugged Veronica, Elodie noticed Betty in the doorway, but she was gone as quick as she came.

"Let's get you home" Elodie took Cheryl's hand after the hug and Cheryl nodded letting herself be lead out of the bathroom by the blonde.

Once outside, she was stopped by Jughead.

"Everything okay?" He questioned

"I've got it" Elodie reassured the boy softly before wrapping her arm around Cheryl and leading her back to her parents.

It was in a tone so soft, that Jughead doubted it was the real Elodie, because she didn't talk that way. With such caution and intention and care.

But then again, after all, this was Elodie. The new and improved Elodie Maybe-every-once-in-awhile-I-really-do-give-a-fuck Nova.

And before he knew it, Jughead was being whisked away by Archie.

"How bout those burgers tonight?" Archie asked.

"Sounds great" Jughead smiled.

When the two boys arrived at Pop's they immediately noticed two girls sitting in a booth. After a long period of staring between a certain redhead and a certain blonde. Someone finally spoke.

"Would you guys like to join us?" Betty asked.

"Only if you're buying" Jughead smiled as he hopped into the window seat of booth, next to Veronica. They did brief introductions, then ordered their drinks, laughing and talking.

That's when Jughead noticed her, sitting in the furthest booth back, smiling and laughing next to two red-headed boys. They teased her and she smacked their arms playfully. Jason Blossom glanced menacingly at Archie before leaning over and whispering something to Elodie, something that made her head fall back and her laughter ring throughout the restaurant.

But that wasn't possible.

Because across from him, Betty Cooper was laughing about something the real Archie had said.

And Jason was dead.

And when Jughead looked back, there was no one at the booth.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

The next day in science class, Elodie sat alone, seeing as Archie seemed to be late. They were assigned lab partners now, after last time had been so unproductive, but the new pairings weren't much better. Elodie sat with Archie. Betty with Kevin. Moose with one of Cheryl's pets. Jughead with some random kid. And Cheryl with Veronica.

Elodie was getting a weird feeling about Archie's absence, so she asked to use the bathroom. When she opened the door, she came face-to-face with,

"Principle Weatherbee? And Sheriff Keller? What are you doing here?" She asked uneasily. Did this have something to do with Archie?

"May we come in?" Weatherbee asked. Elodie nodded and opened the door for them, lingering in the doorway.

"You're here for me, aren't you?" Cheryl stood. Elodie's eyes caught Jughead's on the other side of the room. They both frowned. "It's about Jason autopsy, isn't it?"

"We don't have to do this in front of your classmates Cheryl" Weatherbee said with a calm and eerie voice.

"It's okay. They'll all find out soon enough" Cheryl's tone matched Weatherbee's. Like they all knew something we didn't.

"Find out what Cheryl?" Veronica asked, panic in her voice as she watched Cheryl hold out her wrists to the sheriff.

"That won't be necessary" Mr Keller said softly.

"That I'm guilty" Cheryl's tone was almost sad. Almost.

At that, Elodie slipped out the door, and lo and behold, there stood Archibald Andrews.

"What did you do?" She asked him

"Nothing! I was going to tell Weatherbee about what happened at the river but they left right as I got to his office!" Archie defended.

"Then why is Cheryl Blossom leaving our Biology class in police custody?"