To Start Again

Archie and Elodie had been attached at the hip all summer, inseparable due to the bond that tragedy had formed between them. When they got too far from each other, they would feel isolated and go into a panic. They needed to be close: slept over constantly, always on each other's arms, laying in their rooms, away from the public eye. The spent nearly the whole summer together. With only each other. Which annoyed Jughead Jones and Betty Cooper to no end.

As for the home situation, Elodie's parents had decided it best to stay together during this time, for Elodie, which felt like a joke but at least kept the kids happy.

Regardless, she spent most of her time at Archie's anyways.

"I love you, you know that?" She mumbled from beside him on his bed, both of them staring up at the ceiling.

"Yeah. I love you too" He kissed her head and they both sighed.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

Finally, the first day of school came.

Archie Andrews, for the first time in weeks, didn't have Elodie on his arm. Not that anyone would know, because Archie had never associated much with her in school; Jason and El were always in higher level classes than him. To the world, he had simply been away most of the summer, unaware of his constant house guest.

Everyone greeted him as he walked into school, flashing his charming, brilliant, smile at everyone. The girls swooned as he nodded at them and made his way over to his locker. He was perfectly fine without Elodie: a dramatic shift that had happened over the course of twenty four hours when she had gone to sleep at her own house for the first time in a long time and he had gone out to dinner with Betty last night. To everyone, he seemed like the same old Archie Andrews, girl magnet and fuckboy extraordinaire.

Now, it wasn't all true: Archie was sweet and a really great friend, but he had a habit of breaking girls' hearts.

Something Betty Cooper knew all too well.

The two had spent the night before on a 'friend date', seeing as she was able to pry him away from Elodie, but he got distracted by yet another girl. A raven haired wonder with dark, compelling eyes was Riverdale's new doll, and now on Archie's radar.

Betty Cooper came to school in her signature pink color, her blond hair slicked back into a pony tail, and she held her books close to her chest as she walked through the halls with Veronica Lodge—Riverdale's new girl—and Kevin Keller, the sheriff's gay son. Kevin looked dapper with his green sweater and pearly white smile. Veronica Lodge, however, was other worldly. She wore a simple plaid patterned dress with black edges that showed off her curves and legs. Her eyeliner was impeccable and the string of pearls around her neck were a beautiful, elegant touch. Nearly everyone in Riverdale was white, so her light brown skin and chocolate colored hair was different and beautiful.

As for Jughead Jones, he was upset he hadn't seen his best friend Archie all summer, and was dressed in the same attire as always. That damn hat still on his head.

Elodie came to school in her black convertible after she had dropped her siblings off for their first day's of school. She was wearing ripped up black jeans, a simple shirt, and a black leather jacket, her hair left down in its blonde curls. Absolutely everyone stared at her.

There were many reasons for this.

Firstly, Elodie usually took the bus or skateboarded everywhere in protest of her parents excessive amount of money. Next to no one knew anything about her family's wealth, so the car seemed quite out of place—it was veryyyy nice. She was always chastising capitalism and greed in class too, but there she was.

Secondly, nobody in Riverdale, especially not Elodie—who typically wore light blues and teal and green—ever wore all black attire. Only when at a funeral. So this look drew heads, especially from someone as quiet and calm as Elodie was known to be. Anyone who knew her or got in an argument with her knew he wasn't sweet nor quiet nor calm, but she presented that way.

And thirdly, because everyone knew she was Jason's best friend. No one knew about her and Archie.

So for the first time ever, she was demanding attention. Sweet, smart Elodie Nova was demanding to be seen and heard.

Elodie twirled her keys around her finger before shoving them in her pocket as she entered the main hallway of the school. People stared.

"Where's Cheryl Blossom?" She asked to a silent, dumbfounded hallway of high schoolers. No one answered. She rolled her eyes.

"Behind you darling" Cheryl's silk voice breathed, "Here, come with me. You don't need all these people staring at you. I know how much you loved Jason, and how much he loves—sorry, loved—you too. Everyone scram!" She announced with fake sympathy, crocodile tears welling in her eyes.

Elodie backed out of Cheryl's touch. She spoke in front of a hallway of people: Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, and Kevin included.

"I didn't come here for your sympathy Blossom. I'm going to figure out what happened to Jason, and I'm asking you to stay out of my way" Elodie said in a low voice before walking away. Cheryl glared after the blonde.

Archie Andrews was quick to follow her out.

And Jughead Jones, being the detective he was, wasn't far behind them.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

"What do you mean 'I'm gonna figure out what happened to Jason'?? What does that mean Elle?" Archie asked Elodie in a rushed whisper.

"I told you what I thought Archie! But you were too worried about trying to cover up your affair with Ms Grundy to actually listen to me! God! You're such a teenage boy Arch!" Elodie said exasperatedly.

"Elodie, Jason died! And that's it! When will you understand that?!" Archie argued. Jughead had caught up with Elodie and Archie, but judging by the tone of their voices, stayed on the other side of the wall.

"You were there that day Archie. You heard the gunshot. You know he didn't just die. So don't you dare say that to me" She shot back.

"Fine. Chase this little hypothesis of yours. I guarantee you'll come up empty handed Elle. It's a waste of your time!" Archie huffed.

"I can't believe you Archie!" Elodie rolled her eyes and stormed out of the locker room.

Jughead quickly turned and started pretending to open a locker that certainly wasn't his.

Elodie stopped in her tracks. She turned to look at Jughead. His eyes flickered to her, but quickly flickered back, refocusing on the lock that wasn't his. She walked over to him, leaning on the lockers.

"That's not your locker, Jughead" Elodie stated, her voice as cool as ice.

"I'm borrowing something" Jughead lied easily.

"May I?" Elodie asked. Jughead frowned but stepped aside.

She turned the dial three times, then punched the metal locker. It swung open. Jughead's frown deepened.

"Sorry, let me clarify! That's my locker. Next time you need something, just ask. Or punch it, that usually works too" Elodie smirked cruelly before making her way to class.

"Shit" Jughead mumbled once she was out of earshot, resting his forehead on the cool metal.

"Jug? What are you doing at Elodie's locker?" Archie asked as he exited the locker room.

"Why does everyone know who's locker this is?!" Jughead groaned. Archie shrugged.

"Let's get to class. We're already late" Archie changed the subject. Jughead frowned but stuffed his hands in his pockets and followed anyways.