Chapter Ten

This is a picture of Mitsuhide

*~*

Lina's P.O.V.:

I was out doing errands for my grandma for next week's supplies... I was almost done for the day as I read the grocery list all over again...

"Sugar, salt, rice, dough, vegetable oil, soy sauce..." I prattled off when someone sat beside me on the bench.

I looked up to the person and smiled when I saw it was Mitsuhide.

"Good evening Mitsuhide sama." I greeted as I bowed my head and Mitsuhide smiled kindly at me.

"Konbawa Lina... What's that you've got?"

I waved the list at him with a grin.

"More ingredients to serve you and the other samurais."

Mitsuhide let out a chuckle as he gazed at the side of my head.

"I see you've got a new hair accessory."

"What? Oh. This?" I said as I reached up to touch my hair clip. "Oh, Yukimura gave me this..."

"Yukimura? As in Sanada Genjirou Yukimura?" Mitsuhide asked in bewilderment.

I nodded with a smile.

"Yes he did. It was expensive but he saw me staring at it and went to buy it for me."

"I see you don't call him Yukimura sama..."

"Erm... That's because... he asked me to drop the title..."

Mitsuhide stared at the lake and the setting sun in front of us before turning to look at me again.

"Were you two on a date?"

"Huh? What?"

"How did he know you were staring at it?"

"Erm..."

Hell no I'm not going to tell him what happened that night...

"He happened to see me and we had a small chat. That's all." I said cheerfully as Mitsuhide breathed out a sigh of relief.

"What's wrong?" I asked curiously.

"I thought you two were on a date."

I frowned at his statement.

"And if we were, does it bother you?"

Mitsuhide was silent for awhile before speaking again.

"It does... A little bit..."

A familiar feeling was tugging at my heart...

Don't tell me... Not Mitsuhide too...

"I don't know whether now is the right time to tell you though..." Mitsuhide sighed with a slight blush on his face.

"When you put it that way... I kinda know what you're gonna say..." I said softly as Mitsuhide turned to me with a smile.

"I'm not getting my hopes up high but I'm guessing it's a no?"

I frowned at him.

"I didn't say that."

Mitsuhide's light blue eyes shined with hope followed by a boyish grin.

"So is that a yes?"

I giggled as I shook my head.

"I honestly don't know myself Mitsuhide sama. I need to know why you like me in the first place."

"Hmm... Maybe because of your kind nature..."

"My kind nature?"

"Yea... I saw how you always helped the other villagers even though you're running errands for your grandma despite that you will end up going home late and get a scolding..." Mitsuhide chuckled as he continued staring at me.

I gave a nervous laugh as I looked at his feet.

"That's just being thoughtful and considerate, not kind, Mitsuhide sama."

"It's Mitsuhide... And that's not the only thing I noticed..."

I looked up to stare into his light blue eyes..

"What else did you see?"

"I saw how when I have to escort the male villagers to war under Lord Nobunaga's order... I saw how broken you look... I saw how sad you look when you serve customers who tell you that they've been ordered to go to the frontlines... Every day, something tugged at my heart. I didn't know what that was but eventually... Only recently when Toshiie suspected me of liking you did I then realise what that feeling was..."

I kept quiet as I let him continue...

"I realised that feeling was a soft spot for you... I was even tempted to release those male villagers back to their family just to see a smile on your face even if it means facing the wrath of Lord Nobunaga... But I didn't do it because I haven't figured out my feelings for you back then... And a soft spot for you all these years... It eventually developed into a love for you..." Mitsuhide spoke gently as my mouth opened and closed in surprise at his confession..

He has been observing me that closely??? And his feelings are this strong??? To the point of disobeying Lord Nobunaga???

"So is my reason sufficient enough for you to decide?" Mitsuhide broke the silence between us.

I couldn't find my voice for awhile and when I finally did, I cleared my throat...

"It's too early for me to say anything... I'm not sure what is a crush, what is love... And my only best friend, Umeko, is a maid at Lord Nobunaga's castle so I rarely get to see her to have... you know... girl talk..." I chuckled nervously.

Mitsuhide gave me a soft smile as he stood up, carrying all of my plastic bags...

"Mitsuhide sama... What-..."

"I told you just call me Mitsuhide. And since I'm here I'll escort you home. There's so many stuff, it's gonna be difficult for you to bring them home alone." Mitsuhide tilted his head and gave me a charming smile.

"But about your confession... I don't have an answer yet..."

"It's fine Lina. I don't want to rush you. Take your time okay." Mitsuhide smiled reassuringly at me...