Chapter Twenty-Two

A photo of Hideyoshi

*~*

"You know you're not gonna last long right? Every arrow by Ieyasu is coated with poison... You're going to feel your nerves shutting down very soon..." Mitsunari smirked at Mitsuhide who grunted at the throbbing pain on his left shoulder but nevertheless, continued swinging his swords skilfully at his enemies...

"I'll go against Lord Nobunaga even if it costs me my life!" Mitsuhide shouted fiercely as he swung his swords and managed to grazed a bit of Mitsunari's right arm...

"A bit foolish don't you think so? Furthermore for a girl who doesn't even love you back?" Hideyoshi taunted as he blocked a blow from Toshiie.

"I'm going against Lord Nobunaga not only for my feelings for her... I'm going against Lord Nobunaga because it's insane to kill people who didn't even commit any crime!" Mitsuhide yelled again before swinging one of his swords low, slicing a bit of Mitsunari's knee...

"Damn you!" Mitsunari hissed in pain as Toshiie and Hideyoshi fought sword to sword, their weapons matching and blocking each other perfectly in sync...

"Why does it have to come to this?!?" Toshiie yelled as he was pushing back Hideyoshi's sword. "Why can't the Lords and retainers talk it out then we don't need to have this bloodshed?!?"

Hideyoshi's eyes hardened as he pushed back Toshiie's sword harder...

"That is actually Lord Nobunaga's orders..."

"They are innocent people Hideyoshi!!! If you didn't know about their heritage you would never allow anyone to lay a finger on them!!!"

Hideyoshi's amber eyes softened for a while before chuckling...

"I really enjoyed spending time training with you and Mitsuhide but... I guess this is it eh..." Hideyoshi smiled as his sword suddenly broke, leaving only the handle...

Toshiie's eyes widened as he stared at his former comrade...

"You knew your sword was going to break..." he commented as Hideyoshi closed his eyes and reopened them...

"I can't possibly fight a skilled samurai like you with just my sword's handle... So... do it... The Spear of Sengoku..." he said with a soft smile...

Toshiie gritted his teeth and swung his sword down to strike Hideyoshi when a petite figure hugged Hideyoshi from his side...

"NO!" Lina yelled out fiercely to Toshiie, holding Hideyoshi close to her body.

Hideyoshi's eyes widened as he turned back a bit to look at her, utter shock written all over his face...

"Lina... Why... would you..."

Lina cupped Hideyoshi's cheeks to look at her, staring into his golden amber eyes..

"Because...! Because you are the Miracle of Sengoku, Toyotomi Hideyoshi! You have suffered enough from the war! Everybody knows you! The Master of Negotiator! You've done a lot for Japan and I won't stand by to watch you die knowing that you are a good person! I may not have grown up in the way of the samurai but I know when someone is broken! I look at your eyes everyday and I know it! It's the same look I have when my customers go to war and never come back to the restaurant!!!" Lina sobbed as she buried herself into Hideyoshi's neck...

Hideyoshi blinked his eyes before feeling something warm trailing down both his cheeks...

"What... is this..." he asked absent-mindedly as he used one hand to wipe his face and stared at his wet fingers...

"It's tears Hideyoshi... It's your tears..." Toshiie said softly as he placed his sword away from Hideyoshi.

"But I... I am bound... to Lord Nobunaga's ord-..."

"You don't have to Hideyoshi sama... As a samurai you have to serve your Lord but if it's only going to tear you apart... I suggest you follow your heart... Don't lose yourself as a person Hideyoshi sama..." Lina pulled away from his neck which was wet with her tears, giving him an encouraging smile even though her eyes were red and swollen from crying...

Hideyoshi blinked his tears back before caressing her cheek and smirking...

"Now I know why Mitsuhide and the other guys fell in love with you..." he sighed with a smile as Toshiie held his hand out to help Hideyoshi up..

"Go and take a sword from one of Lord Nobunaga's fallen warriors..." he said as Hideyoshi nodded before turning to look at Mitsunari...

"Under my order, we're going against Lord Nobunaga!" he yelled as Mitsunari jumped away from Mitsuhide, eyes widened in surprise.

"But my Lord!"

"No buts! You are my direct retainer so you serve me!" Hideyoshi yelled firmly as he went to the nearest corpse to pick up a sword.

"It's good to have you guys back..." Toshiie smiled but no sooner had he said that, Mitsuhide suddenly staggered and fell to his knees...