Chapter Thirteen

This is a picture of Masamune

*~*

Lina's P.O.V.:

I waited behind my house which was full of sakura trees planted by my grandma.

God where is this Kojuro anyway? What did he want to speak to me about? Prepare oshiruko for him right now???

I was about to give up and go in when I saw a familiar falcon landed on my shoulder.. Somehow it didn't frighten me as I recognised that falcon...

It was a different falcon though from the one that came to my window...

I saw a letter attached to it and read it...

I wake up thinking of you. I go throughout the day thinking of you. I go to sleep thinking of you. When I sleep I dream of you...

I frowned at the letter before lowering my hand and sighed with the falcon still on my shoulder...

"Come out Lord Masamune. I know it's you." I called out as a shadow stepped out from behind a cherry blossom tree and approached me.

"What do you want..." I asked bluntly as the one-eyed dragon, also known as my regular customer, studied me closely with his uncovered eye.

"I just... wanted to see-..."

"You don't have any reason to see me Lord Masamune. You confessed to me 2 years back already. I was going to give you my answer since you let me think about it but guess what, you came personally to tell me to forget about what you said..."

Lord Masamune frowned a bit before continuing to stare at me with an emotionless face.

"So does that mean it was going to be a yes..."

"Yes Lord Masamune. I was going to accept your confession... Honestly, I only started speaking to you because you were my customer but soon... I too find myself enjoying your company... And when you requested for food to be personally made by me, I was overjoyed... After you rejected me, you started bringing Kojuro along and I get it, you're trying to avoid me by bringing a friend so I wouldn't talk to you..."

"I wasn't trying to avoid you... I just don't know how to face you yet... I wanted to see you... And I was nervous that you will chase me out if I came alone that's why I brought Kojuro along with me everytime now..."

I huffed in bewilderment at his statement before blinking back my tears..

"I thought... What I felt for you was a crush or love... But after you rejected me... I've come to realise that what I felt for you was pity... Pity that you were always outsted by everyone including your own people as everyone kept saying your right eye is a host for a demon... I guess we misunderstood each other's feelings... You thought I felt something for you when I actually pitied you hence, you decided to like me..."

Lord Masamune shook his head aggressively.

"When you found me and my injured falcon as you were cutting through the forest during one of your food delivery, you saw my uncovered blue eye... You were not afraid to approach and help me despite the rumours... You even told me my eye was beautiful... " he answered as I cut him off.

"I already told you. I already figured out why I said that. I did meant my compliment but I pitied you at the same time too." I answered him firmly as I removed the falcon from my shoulder, letting it nuzzle me a bit before nudging it to fly to Lord Masamune, perching on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry..."

I rolled my eyes as I crossed my arms.

"Sorry for what?"

"Sorry for... taking back my answer..."

"Just say you rejected me Lord Masamune, let's make it easier for the both of us. And you didn't have to pretend to be Kojuro to lure me out. Why did you have to use his falcon and his name?"

"Because I know you wouldn't come out if you know it was me..."

Tsk, he got that right.

"I... want to tell you... why... I... took back my answer..." Lord Masamune spoke again and I huffed in irritation.

"You don't need to tell me Lord Masamune..."

"Please... You know how much it affects me..."

"No. No I don't Lord Masamune."

"Please... Lina..."

I bit my lip in frustration as I looked away, finally giving in.

"Fine... Masamune... what is your reason for rejecting me.." I finally relented.

Masamune took a deep breath as he let out a depressed sigh.

"My mother was onto you. She had a feeling that I like someone and I got news from my spies that she was planning on finding out who it was and was going to get rid of the girl... I had to take back my confession so that I wouldn't get you involved..."

I screwed my face up at what he said.

"Why doesn't she like me? Is it because of my status?"

"One thing... Another thing is that... she has someone in mind to betroth me to..."

I gazed at the nearest petal to Masamune's feet, not meeting his eye.

"Oh..."

"I don't like her... I only got to meet her few months back... That's why I got more cranky recently when I visited your restaurant..."

I took a deep breath as I looked at his face.

"I don't even know why we're having this conversation."

Masamune's face was one of hurt before he quickly composed himself.

"What do you mea-..."

"I mean in the end it's the same. Your mother still doesn't like me. So why are you telling me all this?"

"I... I just thought... you have the right to know..."

"Okay well now I know. And if you think telling this to me will change my mind, it won't." I answered curtly as I turned to walk away but Masamune pulled me back and turned me around, hugging me close to his chest.

Oh god...

I could feel the warmth from his chest through his grey hakama as he tightened his hold around me...

"I... I'm not really good... with words... Maybe that's why... I always make you upset with whatever I say..." his deep voice spoke as I tried to control my breathing, holding back my tears as I placed my head onto his left chest to hear his heartbeat.

"But how do I say goodbye when none of my heart wants to go on for you..." I whispered as I felt his hand moving up to stroke my hair...

"If my mother wasn't in the picture... will you still want to be with me..."

I swallowed lots of saliva before answering him..

"No... I've already realised my feelings for you... I care for you deeply... But... when you left... I finally came to terms with it..."

"What... What do you mean..."

"My grandma told me this before... I'll know it's love when my feelings don't leave even if the person does..." I blinked back my tears as I felt Masamune hugged me even tighter than before as he kissed the top of my head..

"Then...don't feel guilty for hurting me... don't feel guilty for doing what's best for you..." he whispered but I heard his voice choking up before he let me go and disappeared in a blur, the sakura petals swishing around me...