CHAPTER ONE

Jisoo felt her eyelids drooping down, a yawn escaping her lips, as the lazy afternoon beckoned her for a nap. She prevented herself from doing so as she recognized the iron-wrought gates of their new neighborhood. It opened as the guard on duty recognized the subdivision sticker on the windshield, giving the man behind the steering wheel an acknowledging bow. Jiwon slowed the car to give one back.

Rows of modest, traditional houses then greeted Jisoo's sight, numerous trees from the sidewalk rushing by as the shadows danced across her face, shielding her from the warm afternoon sunlight.

It must be hot out there, she thought. Moving and carrying things will prove to be difficult, she added. The prospect of her clothes sticking to her skin because of sweat didn't sound enticing in her mind.

Come to think of it, the air ventilation set on three sent chills running on her spine. Now growing uncomfortable, she reached a hand towards the control and rotated the number down to two, the rose-gold ring on her fourth finger briefly glinting as she did so. The smooth hum of the air-conditioner decreased and faded under the upbeat track the radio was currently playing.

The boxes stacked at the back created faint wriggling noises as her husband drove through the asphalt road. After making a right from an intersection, his eyes glowed in anticipation as their new house could be seen from a mile away.

The speed of the car gradually slowed down as they neared the street of their destination. Now in front, he steered it to the right to park, only for the car to jerk upwards from crossing the hump between the street and the house's driveway. A gasp escaped from Jisoo's lips as she quickly grabbed the roof handle for safety.

Sensing her discomfort, Jiwon mumbled a quick, "Sorry," under his breath, biting his lips in concentration as he tried to smoothly maneuver the car. He did after learning from his mistake, the tires at the back passing the hump without much complication. Afterwards, he finally parked.

His soft, "We're here," registered in her ears, the radio and the hum of the engine dying heard after. The woman on the passenger seat let out a relieved sigh.

Clicking of seat belts and slamming of doors soon followed as they both went out of the car. Jiwon proceeded to open the backseat to carry out the boxes. Jisoo, instead of helping him out, walked from the asphalt driveway to the lawn, her ballet flats hitting the damp soil and the freshly mowed grass tickling the exposed part of her feet. Her legs felt like jelly after the long drive from their old apartment so she figured she wanted to stretch a limb or two first.

Her husband, his footsteps light as if not tired from driving an hour and a half, walked along the cobblestone path connected to the driveway, holding a box. As he arrived in front of the doorstep, he propped his leg to give the box a temporary pedestal as he shoved the right key in. The door opened with a creak. Taking a deep breath, he disappeared inside.

From behind, she could hear the heavy rumble of the moving truck and the smooth rev of the Lexus sedan of her brother. She turned around just in time to see them park at the street in front of the house.

Ruckus followed as the people they hired scurried to move things inside from the moving truck; two people on the couch, one carrying dining chairs both sides of his arm. Her brother went along to help the remaining helper with a long rectangular box.

Deciding to be out of their way for a while, she took shade under the only tree planted on the front yard, its leaves softly rustling for a breeze. She thought it would be a hot sunny day, but she was proven wrong. In fact, only cool air passed now and then. Even the heat of the sun wasn't enough to burn her skin like it would do in the city.