CHAPTER THREE

The smell of fried garlic and the sweet aroma of sausages woke Jiwon up. Morning light that already settled inside the house forced him to squint his eyes. There was also an annoying throbbing in his head, signaling the onset of a hangover.

After getting used to it, he sat up with a groan and looked towards the kitchen. The sound of pans clanking only registered in his ears as he saw Jisoo there, tossing something on the stove that smelt heavenly. His wife turned it off after a few seconds and turned around, holding a pan with steam coming from it.

Their eyes met and for a lingering moment, he could see her smile. Her smiles were a rare sight nowadays but as he saw her do it for him, he couldn't help but get mesmerized.

"Morning," she greeted as she brought the contents of the pan down to a plate. "Come have breakfast."

To say that he was surprised was an understatement. Only a question remained in his head. What is happening?

Oblivious to his stunned appearance, she turned around and searched for something at the shelves, making him aware that it was now stacked with numerous canned goods.

Come to think of it, the kitchen was full of things not there before. The fruit basket was filled with oranges, bananas, and pears. Numerous bottles of condiments stood beside the stove. The spice rack Jiwon didn't take out of the boxes was also there.

He didn't buy the new things, didn't even remember placing the spice rack. He always brought nonperishable goods since Jisoo would let vegetables and meat rot in the refrigerator.

"That's strange... I made sure to buy Spam yesterday..." she muttered. "Hey," she called, now turning to him. "Did you eat it?"

Still disoriented, he could only shake his head. Afterwards, he blinked for a few times before recognizing that this wasn't a dream.

"What are you still doing there? Come eat now. You're gonna be late for work."

If he stared stupidly for one more moment, she'd definitely raise an eyebrow. So to prevent that from happening, he half-crouched his way towards the dining area near the kitchen. He let out a groan and immediately flinched as the windows beside the table shone in his eyes. The see-through curtains weren't even helping to conceal the natural light from outside.

He halfheartedly dragged the white linen chair to sit. As he couldn't hide the pain he was shouldering for a few minutes now, he propped his arms on the table and covered his face with his hands.

"Are you okay? Do you want some water?" came Jisoo's warm tone.

He looked between the gaps of his fingers just to see her placing a plate in front of him. It made him forget the headache for a while as he recognized what it was. Sausages with fried rice. His favorite.

The steam warmed his face as he stared at the clash of colors of carrots, peas, sausages, and strips of scrambled eggs with the white rice. Before he could say something, she was back in the kitchen to fetch a pitcher of water in the refrigerator, a glass at the cupboard after.

This was still a lot to take in, and even more so while nursing a hammering hangover in the morning. He was too used to her cold persona nowadays to be comfortable with things like this. The Jisoo he was seeing now was like... the Jisoo he fell in love with.

She came back and brought the pitcher and glass down the table, filling the glass herself. Putting aside his astonishment for a while, he took the glass without hesitation and dunked it down his throat. For a moment, the headache subsided, but it still felt like a band was rocking it out in his head.