CHAPTER TWO [Part 1]

Jisoo stood frozen over her place beside the telephone table. Her heart paced restlessly against her chest, adrenaline picking up and making her hands clammy. Everything was as still as the night. Even breathing hurt as she feared that it would be heard by someone.

She was alone in the house. Or was she?

She slowly brought the cordless phone back on its place and curled like a ball on the floor.

Maybe it was just coincidence. Maybe the crazy caller was just a prank call. Maybe the wind picked up inside and closed the door. Maybe everything was just her imagination because it was two in the morning and there would be enough reason to blame it on the devil's hour, right?

Yeah, maybe that was right. She was getting crazy. It must be the blues.

Sleep didn't come around that night. She was awake for too long just to see the sun blare its rays on the world. She was even awake just in time to hear Jiwon's SUV pull up in the driveway.

Jiwon.

Jisoo felt relief washing her features. Jiwon. Jiwon's here.

As she heard the jingle of keys beneath the main door, she stood up and opened it herself. Jiwon, dressed in his crisp, grey suit, stared perplexed until she wrapped her arms around his neck.

Her husband, in the midst of his confusion, managed to wrap an arm around her waist. "What happened to you, babe?"

"J – Jiwon, there was someone in the house."

His body grew rigid. "Who?"

"I – I don't know. That's the problem, I don't know!"

"Did you call the police? Why didn't you call me too?"

The slight rise of his intonation made her feel anxious. Unable to say anything, she kept her mouth shut. It wasn't until he gently pushed her away that she realized she was shaking.

"Nothing bad happened, right?"

She shook her head.

His features noticeably relaxed. "I'll report this to the police."

"O – Okay. You do that."

There was silence that passed between them for a while, with Jiwon looking at her as if searching for something. It unnerved her for some reason. Whatever he was thinking was disregarded as he sighed.

"I'm sorry for always leaving you alone." He took her in his arms again. "I even promised your dad to keep you safe all the time."

The way he said it stirred things inside. Through the silent fights, she seemed to forget how much he was willing to throw away his pride just for her.

"I'm sorry too, for being so cold. I – just, with her gone, and me being—"

Jiwon shushed her. "I don't blame you. You did your best. Now let me do my part too." He planted a kiss at the top of her head and gazed lovingly at her. With equal affection, he said, "I love you. You know that, right?"

Her heart knew what to say, but at the same time, she couldn't find the strength to say it back.

For all the people she had failed, she felt it with Jiwon the most. No matter what they say, she was the reason they lost their baby.

Instead of saying it back, she broke his gaze and held him even tighter.

  -2- 

The red and blue lights seemed to reflect inside the house as the police car parked behind Jiwon's SUV. Jisoo pulled the curtains down and went beside Jiwon who opened the door. Two police officers emerged from their yard, looking formidable with their bluish green shirts and navy blue trousers.