CHAPTER FOUR

Jisoo heaved a sigh as she put down three grocery bags on the kitchen island. After dropping by Jiwon's workplace, she went to the local supermarket. She didn't know if it was because they ate home-cooked meals, but the food supply went out quickly than estimated.

Carrying the vegetables in one arm, she grabbed the refrigerator handle only to stop short. The handle felt sandy and when she raised her hand, she saw that it was dirt.

'Was it there when I went home from the jog?' she asked herself.

If it wasn't her, it was surely Jiwon's doing. She'd have to remind him to wash his hands first before touching anything later.

After putting away the groceries and cooking dinner, she watched TV to kill time, drowning herself to a hilarious variety show Yoo Jaesuk emcees in. Halfway through the show, she heard the familiar hum of the engine of Jiwon's SUV, the headlights subsequently shining inside the house before turning off. She uncrossed her legs from the couch and jumped to her feet to open the door with a smile.

Jiwon looked surprised to see her standing in the doorway but quickly masked it by giving a smile of his own. He entered the house and closed the door behind him.

"Have you eaten dinner yet?" Jisoo asked as she reached out for the remote to turn the tv off.

He shook his head.

She tugged his arm gently. "Let's eat. I cooked kimchi stew with side dishes. You're gonna love it."

The woman turned on the stove to reheat the pot after making him sit at the dining area. Remembering about the dirt on the refrigerator handle, she inquired, "Hey, did you fix the car or something?"

"No."

Double-checking the refrigerator again, she continued, "Then why is—" She shook her head as the handle was devoid of the mess she saw earlier. "Nevermind."

"So, how's work?" she asked instead as she took out bowls from the cupboard for the side dishes.

When she heard no reply from her husband, she glanced at his direction. Her brows creased as she saw he was only looking at his lap.

"Babe, what's wrong?"

"I'm sorry..."

Call it woman's instinct, but something about it felt wrong. After turning off the stove, she took a seat in front of him. "Why are you apologizing?"

Warning bells rang in her head when she saw his shoulders tensing up.

Barely in a whisper, he murmured, "...I – I... Jisoo, I..."

"What?"

"...I kissed someone else."

She stared at him as if she was seeing him in a new light—a bad kind of light.

Honestly, it took her breath away.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I didn't want any of that. I'm sorry... I love you... I'm sorry... I let the idea entertain in my head and I – I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I – I didn't – didn't want any of that. I just – I just – Please... I'm so sorry..."

His indistinct sentences stopped short as Jisoo placed her warm hands on his cheeks, wiping away the tears that fell from his eyes.

A part of her didn't want to believe. A part of her wanted to slap him and tell him to go away. A part of her just wanted to cry and forgive him. But she didn't want to do any of those things.

The woman hated seeing him cry. Why did it look like it hurt him more than it should hurt her?

It was the first time she saw him cry. As her sight blurred, she realized she was crying too.