CHAPTER TWO [Part 2]

Picture frames containing the moments they were happy stood at the ledge of the fireplace, topping it off with the wedding photo hanging above it. Jisoo observed every one of them, her mother's soap opera monologue fading in the background.

For some reason, those images made Jisoo take her to a time machine, of what happy once felt like, of how warm Jiwon's arms could be, of the immense joy she felt when they both said their vows.

There were a lot of regrettable things, but she knew she didn't want to lose Jiwon too.

She noticed some picture frames were turned upside down. She found it weird for a while, but came to a conclusion that maybe the wind from the windows managed to knock them down. She neatly arranged them back up.

"Mom," Jisoo called as she turned around. "I'm gonna head out for a little while. Let me borrow your car."

Her mother nodded absentmindedly, her eyes fixated on the TV in front of her. "You go do that," she mumbled under her breath as she pointed at the keys on the coffee table.

Having the urge to do something nice for a change, Jisoo headed down to the supermarket to buy ingredients to Jiwon's favorite meal, sausages with fried rice. He always made sure not to run out of stock of those things. In fact, he'd always request it when she cooked him breakfast before leaving for work. Nowadays, he'd leave early just to avoid expecting that she'd cook for him at all.

After she bought food, she went straight home and made a beeline for the kitchen. Sandara leaned an arm on top of the couch to look behind where Jisoo was making a ruckus.

"You need help with that?" her mother asked as she eyed the numerous grocery bags strewn over the kitchen island.

Jisoo shook her head and took out the numerous canned goods to place on the shelves. "I'm good."

"Okay," came her mother's reply.

After putting away all the groceries, she heated a pan, opposite of the pot she used to heat the take-out bone marrow soup for her mother, and opened the sausage packaging. While waiting for the pan to heat, she brought out her phone from her jean pocket and called Jiwon. He answered after three rings.

"Jisoo? Is there a problem at the house?"

She bit her lip when she caught the surprised tone in his voice. It came out as if she did it out of the blue, as if she just called because she needed something.

Nowadays, he was the one who did all the calling. Never her.

"No, I'm just calling to see if you'll be coming home today."

"I will. But I'll probably be home late. There's a problem at work that I need to sort out."

"Oh." She hoped she did enough to mask her disappointment. "Well, it can't be helped." I just want to see you.

"I'm really sorry about this. Are you not feeling safe there? Did mother already left?"

"No, it's fine. I'm fine. I'm just... asking. Mom's still here, watching her dramas. I'm – I'm gonna hang up now."

"Okay. Stay safe. Love you."

Click.

Jisoo still kept the phone in her ear, even though the conversation ended already.

He didn't even wait for me to say it back.

Sighing, she pocketed the phone and turned off the stove.

-2-

Jiwon stared at his phone for a while. He didn't know why, but he felt guilty for lying to his wife.