[TW] CHAPTER TEN

[TRIGGER WARNING]

This note is for the people who may get uncomfortable reading some parts of the chapter. Because of mature themes, I'm putting out a warning to proceed with caution. I sincerely apologize for this.

{e x t e n d e d v e r s i o n}

-10-

The warm radiance of the sun slowly came down to its slumber when the police at the Kim household lessened.

As Jiwon brought the binoculars to his lap, he could hear Junhoe mumbling, "This is a bad idea..."

It was apparent to everyone that he was nervous, a characteristic alien to someone like Junhoe. He had just come back from their honeymoon trip with his lovely wife and Jiwon knew that he had every right to be fearful. Still, that didn't erase the fact that he came with them willingly.

"If you're going to be like this the whole time, you should go home to Chaeyoung's arms, you scaredy-pants," Hanbin said, at the very back of Donghyuk's Kia Carnival. It didn't help that the person he was dissing was just beside him.

Junhoe had his mouth open in retort when Jinhwan, just perched between Chanwoo and Yunhyeong, suddenly straightened up in his seat to point at the direction of the house.

"Look, they're leaving."

"The investigation must have ended by now," Yunhyeong commented.

Anticipation pumped through Jiwon's veins. Having seated at the driver's seat, he instinctively slid down out of the window's view when the police drove by, to avoid being seen by anyone, most of all, the detective in-charge of his wife's case, Lee Seonwoong.

"All clear. Let's go," Donghyuk informed.

Hanbin folded his arms, a smirk displayed on his mouth. "About damn time."

Still awkwardly bent at the driver's seat, Jiwon opened his side of the door and got out, remembering to grab his borrowed flashlight from Hanbin and Donghyuk's keys. A series of doors opening and slamming followed. Then some slight ruckus, courtesy of the youngest, Chanwoo.

"Hyungs, I'll go in front. I don't have a wife or kids yet so it's better if I die first among you!"

What he got was just a flick on the forehead from Jinhwan. "Keep it down!"

Jiwon couldn't help but shake his head at that. It led him to wonder why he asked his friends to come with him in the first place. At the same time, he knew they were the ones he could trust the most with to get his plan into action. Deciding to focus on the task, he left the block he parked the car at, passing by rows of trees that casted ominous shadows in their path. Irregular beats of his heart rang in his ears like crazy as he forced his legs to move forward. The adrenaline pumped his whole body like sizzles of electricity, desperate to come out of its cage. Sneaking out in his own house was a crazy idea in the first place.

When they arrived at the familiar sight of his house, all the lights had been out, its crowded state seemingly just a ghost of the past. Remnants of forensic equipment that littered all over the place were gone too like they never existed.

Donghyuk peered over at Jiwon's shoulder. "Amazing... there's really no one guarding the place..."

"Better hope that's a good sign," Jiwon muttered as he took the lead to enter the lot, holding the yellow tape above eye level to let the others in. Chanwoo tried opening the front door, but it was unsurprisingly locked.

"Hyung, you have your key with you?" Donghyuk asked, now beside Chanwoo.

Sighing, Jiwon shook his head. He already surrendered his key to the police for further use.