Chapter 7~~ Mudbloods and Letters

I think back to what my boggart said about my godfather, who I didn't even know existed, and wonder why my parents never told me before. It's Sunday and I'm just lounging around, so I decide to write to them.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I recently had an encounter with a boggart, which transformed into a letter pronounced you both dead. It mentioned something of my godfather, who is unfit to look after me, but I never knew I had one! Could you please tell me who it is? And can I meet him?

Lots of love, hugs and kisses,

Ellie x

I call Hedwig down and put the short note into an envelope, giving it to Harry's owl, who bites it.

"Give it to Mum and Dad," I tell her and open the window to the common room, watching her great, long wings spread and take her to Merlin knows where. I sigh and look out the window at the rosy pink and gold sky. The sun sets over the horizon and Hedwig seems to be flying towards it. I stare longingly after her, wishing I could see my parents too.

A couple of hours later, while I'm doing Potions homework, I hear a tap on the window by my head. I crack it open, the complete darkness rendering me blind to whoever has knocked. Soft cooing notifies me it's Hedwig and she flaps her wings as I open the glass pane wider to let her in.

Dear Ellie,

Yes, you do indeed have a godfather and a godmother for that matter. Unfortunately, you and your brother don't have the same godparents. Your godfather's name is Remus Lupin, and he is an old friend of your fathers'. I suppose you'll want to know who your godmother is, and you have every right to, her name is Aaylin Novak.

Love from,

Mum x

I can hear the sigh in her writing. I fold the letter up and put it in the folds of my robes and grab a scrap piece of parchment. I begin to draft out my letter to my new-found godfather.

Dear Remus Lupin,

I have recently heard that you are my godfather, an old friend of my parents.I really want to meet you and my godmother, Aaylin Novak. Can I please meet you both? Please write back soon,

From, Elizabeth Lily Potter x

I read over it and deem it terrible, throwing it in the fire and picking up another parchment roll.

Dear Remus Lupin.

I start, pausing and wondering what to write. What do you write to someone you didn't know existed one day, and then announced they're your godfather the next? I sigh and write how I know he was a friend of Dad's and how he's my godfather, signing it with a simple Elizabeth. Quietly, I wrap it in an envelope and give it to Hedwig.

"Take it to Remus Lupin, where he is, I have no clue," I inform her and open the window again. She flies, not to the west, but to the moon, to the east. The partially full moon glows with a glimmer of frosting, indicating the awful weather to come. I walk up to my dorm and snuggle into my warm comfortable bed, letting it cocoon me in heat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a week, and I haven't got a reply from my godfather or any more letters from my mum and dad. I head outside with Hermione and Ron, as Ginny's busy with Transfiguration homework that I've already done.

"I'm meant to have another Defence Against the Dark Arts class tomorrow," I groan.

"We only needed one to know that Quirrel was much better than him. Despite, you know, You-know-who sticking out of the back of his head, of course. The teacher, Professor Gilderoy Lockhart, is so terrible. Bloody hell, he let loose a bunch of pixies that attacked us, and didn't give us a counter-charm! They managed to get Neville hanging off the chandelier somehow!" Ron pipes up.