Chapter 23~~ Valentine's Day

"They were just sat there. On my bed. I had no idea who they were from, or how they got there." I hold up two letters. One has a rosy pink envelope and cursive handwriting that I could barely read. The other's plain, yellowish parchment has deep red ink.

"That one looks like it was written in blood," Vena remarks,  pointing. I nod, throwing them on the table and flicking my hair out of my face. I lean back and let Ginny inspect them. The fire crackles and Gryffindors bustle around the Common Room, joking and working.

"Have you opened them yet?" Ginny asks.

"Valentine's Day's not til tomorrow." I shake my head. "What if they meant for them to be a day early?"

"Could've just got the date mixed up," Vena argues.

"Could have given them to the wrong person accidentally," Ginny jokes.

"Have you guys got anything yet?"

"No, but like you said, Valentine's is tomorrow." Vena reasons.

"Have you given anything?"  I ask. Both girls shrug, and Ginny turns a faint red. Vena looks around the room in a bored manner. "You have!"

"No!" They both retort.

"Who is it?"

"No-one. Because we don't have one." Vena snaps.

"Ok, ok. Anyway, all will be revealed tomorrow." I say.

"Let's go to Potions." She sighs. We all pick up our bags and sling them over our shoulders, pushing through the crowd of people leaving for classes. Our footsteps echo in the corridors and I shiver.

"Boy, is it cold down here," I exclaim. I can hear Vena's teeth chattering. I pull out my woollen scarf and wrap it loosely around my neck and stuff my hand deep into my pockets. We walk into the classroom and took out seats.

"Are we in the right place?" Ginny asks, unsure. I reassure her by yanking out a very crumpled timetable and handing it to her. "Are we early?"

"Pfft, us? Nah, everyone else is just... later." Vena replies, pulling her robes tighter around her. Soon, people start to file in. Snape whips his cloak as he strolls to the chalkboard, picking up the chalk and drawing little rectangles on with peoples names in them. I look at the board, confused.

"Is he... Drawing up a seating plan?" I whisper to Ginny. She nods and I glance at Vena, who shrugs and looks towards her friend, John. Snape finishes and turns to us all, immediately silencing the class.

"After last lessons.... Episode." He pointedly looks at me and Jemima. "As you can see, I have produced a seating plan." He gestures to the drawing behind him. "Sort yourselves." I stand and head to my desk, two down from the one opposite Snapes. Poor child, whoever's got the unfortunate chance of sitting there. Books land heavily onto the other half of my desk. I glimpse John's brown hair and sit down.

"So... Your Elizabeth." He says.

"Ellie, it's just Ellie to friends," I correct. His eyes widen slightly and I smirk, facing the board.

"Today, we will be learning the Forgetfulness Potions." He flicks his wand at the chalk and it writes the recipe. 

Add 2 drops of  Lethe River Water to your cauldronGently heat for 20 seconds

Add 2 Valerian sprigs to your cauldronStir 3 times, clockwise

Wave your wand

Leave to brew and return in 45-60 minutes

Part 2

Add 2 measures of Standard Ingredients to the mortar