Chapter 15

I shoved the basket and bag under my bed. It was my only hiding spot, and it was the only place I could actually fit it.
I stood back up again and exited my room.
The living room looks the same. The wood floor boards, the concrete walls, the red cushions. And the little station in the right corner that was supposed to be a kitchen.

My dad and brother were crowded around a few scrolls, and seemed to be in deep thought. I ignored the two. Normally I would go over and ask what they were doing, but I was to tired and just wanted to get this day over with. I walked over to the kitchen and took out meat and corn for dinner.

To just think, I am actually going to leave. It made me nervous. But I already convinced myself.
Tonight.

My thoughts quickly trained to the Prince. And now my commanding officer.

"Katara, wait!"

I frowned. He was truly a very strange being in my eyes. But when I look back, to his sad, lonely face, everything makes since. The reason why I was going, the reason I was able to break a promise.
The reason I can't look away.

But the fact is, I don't even know him very well. I want to throw everything away for him. And I don't know him. But it just feels right! I know it's my destiny. I know, somehow everything will be worked out.

I cut the chicken very slowly while I thought about my situation.

He had beautiful Raven hair, golden eyes! An angular face, a great built body! And a scar over his left eye.

The scar didn't make him any less handsome. It made him more intimidating. It gave him more unique detail.

I smiled at the Prince I made in my mind.
I never thought I was a girl to fall for a Prince.

Fall for?

I don't know about that.

I slid the chicken into the pot and watched it sizzle.

"Hey Tara." Sokka walked over to the kitchen counter.
"Hi Sokka." I said flipping the chicken around.

"That sure is a lot of chicken, do I get extra!?" He licked his lips and rubbed his hands together. I smiled and shook my head.
"No. This is not extra. This is for tonight and tomorrow." I continued stirring while adding in vegetables. Sokka crossed his arms and raised his eyebrows.
"I just don't want to do the extra work. Might as well make more today and come home tomorrow with a meal already made." I smiled.
Sokka was still for a second but nodded. "That makes since." And he dismissed it all together. "How has work been?" He asked with a smile.

I shrugged. He pressed his lips together in a hard line. "Come on Tara! What's the doom and gloom for?" He smiled and put a hand on my shoulder.
I forced a wide smile. When Sokka tried to make me happy it just made me more guilty. "Nothing. No doom and gloom here." I stirred.

I poured some broth into the pot and put a lid on top. I quickly brushed my hands on my red skirt and left the pot alone.
"So what have you and dad been up to?" I walked with Sokka over to the couch where a bunch of papers had been lain out.

"Oh a little bit of this and a little bit of that." Sokka waved a hand in front of me. I looked past his hand at one of the papers.

"Imperial nation guard logs?" I said in shock. Hakoda and Sokka's eyes widened. "What are you doing with that?" I backed away from the table. Neither of them said anything.

"Katara, let us explain!" But I ran to my room and slammed the door.

They were spying on the guard! Even worse, they could be avoiding them. This is going to get them in trouble! The only people aloud to have the log books were the commanders!
They stole it!

I quickly grabbed the basket under my bed and leapt from the window, taking my last glance at my room...