Chapter 17

Finally when we reached our camp it was dark. We walked a good 12 miles and we can all agree that everything on our bodies were painful.
I walked along side Zuko the entire time after the whole thing with the guys. I actually didn't mind the Prince's presence. It was protectiveness that now bothered me. I didn't know if it was because I was a girl, or I was the smallest one on the team, he just kept an umbrella of protection around me.
In some ways it was kind of comforting.

We ended up in a large open plain of land. I thought we would be in the big city of the upper ring. Oh I don't know why! He did say upper ring! But we ended up staying right on the ground where the land starts elevating into the dormant volcanic mountain. 

We all pitched our own tents and crowded around a campfire. Aang saved me a seat.
I was extremely angry with the airbender at the moment.
We had been best friends since he had traveled to the South Pole many years ago. My family took him in and he kind of went where we went. But ever since we had been in the FireNation things have been very different.
It was a different I couldn't explain well. I kind of drifted out and he kept running. But today I was now running away from him, not drifting.

He first tried to convince the other guys that I was his. Oh yes I know that trick anywhere! He grabbed my hand and made sure everyone knew. The monk was never crazy with romance so I know that's the furthest he would go. But then the Jet started harassing me, he whimpered back.
I didn't need his help, but he also didn't offer it. At least Zuko did something. I feel bad kind of dissing Prince Zuko off like I did.

I walked pass Aang where he had been saving me a seat on the log near the campfire. I made my way into the maze of tents. The soldiers that crowded around the fire could not longer be seen or heard. I walked through the grass and many small tents until I got to the large one.

I saw Prince Iroh out side the tent with a cup of tea at hand. "Ah Katara, very nice to see you. Would you like some tea, maybe a small cake?" He said calmly as I approached.

I smiled and bowed. "No thank you, I'm not very thirsty or hungry at the moment."

"He's inside." Iroh said tilting his head towards the entrance.
I was about to walk forward when Iroh held a hand up. "Could you give this to him my dear?" Iroh almost looked like he was cowling at the scroll he held out.
I nodded. "Thank you Katara."
"It's an honor Prince Iroh."
"Call me uncle." He said quietly with a smile.

"But that is not you title, it would be rude if-" I started, but he leaned in again.
"You'll find that fancy title s are absolutely worthless compared to the name your love ones call on you." He smiled and motioned for me to got inside.

I bowed again. "Thank you. Uncle."
He sipped his tea with a smile.

I walked into the tent to see Prince Zuko in front of a desk, piled with paper work.
I cleared my throat and he turned quickly.
"Katara." He shot up in his seat. "Is there something wrong?" His voice was stern.

"No sir. I have a letter for you." I handed him the letter. Before he could open in I went on. "And I want to say I'm sorry. It was t right of me to snap at you. You were just trying to do the right thing and barked at you. Thank you." I looked at the ground.
He didn't move. And he didn't speak for a minute.

"I accept your apology." He said quietly and walked back over to the desk with the letter. He sat with a huff.
I didn't know wether or not to leave or keep a conversation going.

I followed him to his desk where he was reading the letter. "Is that some war plan?" I asked.
Zuko's eyes skimmed the paper. "No. An old friend has chosen to come visit me tomorrow." He sighed.
"Sounds like fun." I tried to sound exited but I was so confused. And that mixed together to make me sound stiff and sarcastic.

"Sure. Well you haven't met Mai." He grumbled.
A girl?

He was right. I having met Mai